mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJimmy666 View Post
Thanks for the explanation guys. The math was done just for the sake of doing it, as the question was on an evaluation. The TA docked me 7/8 marks for not following the proper format but I knew I was right.

It's for a 2nd year Social Sciences Statistics class.
The error in this entire thing is now bolded for your ease of use. And how do you get docked down to 1/8 while still having the correct answer? I bet if you would have written a nice story about being a super hero and a force of good in the world, you would have not been docked as much.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
The error in this entire thing is now bolded for your ease of use. And how do you get docked down to 1/8 while still having the correct answer? I bet if you would have written a nice story about being a super hero and a force of good in the world, you would have not been docked as much.
To be fair, it's a B.Sc in Psych. I would hardly call it a joke of a major. For whatever reason every TA in my program is out to fail us. He wanted to give me a 0 but the answer was correct.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Fan of EMR
Quote:
To be fair, it's a B.Sc in Psych. I would hardly call it a joke of a major
I never called it a joke major. I was alluding to the fact that since it was not a math, finance, economics, engineering, or other business degree that the TA was not all that good. This is because these degrees actually understand and do math and not twist it into some sort of crusade.

But I would love to test my theory on the story portion of the exam.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
I never called it a joke major. I was alluding to the fact that since it was not a math, finance, economics, engineering, or other business degree that the TA was not all that good. This is because these degrees actually understand and do math and not twist it into some sort of crusade.

But I would love to test my theory on the story portion of the exam.
Ahh, my bad Harb. I take a lot of flak from my friends (all engineering or sciences) so I see it coming now. Like I said, this isn't exclusive to one TA. I just wanted to make sure I was right before I go to my prof over it.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.

Last edited by StJimmy666; 10-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Ahh, my bad Harb. I take a lot of flak from my friends (all engineering or sciences) so I see it coming now. Like I said, this isn't exclusive to one TA. I just wanted to make sure I was right before I go to my prof over it.
No worries dude. I have had this discussion with many many people from other fields. Where 70% of my classes required a pretty significant amount of math for all three degrees, the math requirements for a lot of the social sciences do not. So it would not surprise me that something is amiss in the program in relation to math intensive studies.

I always loved the non math/business students taking math with us. It was like deer in headlights.

That was why I, and others, questioned the whole thing from the beginning. It made no sense as the two groups are not really related. It would have been nice if this exercise they gave you had some real applications. But to just throw random numbers around and get people to understand what is actually going on is kind of idiotic. Had this been some sort of actually study where the output of the math means something, I think it would have been better. Aside from the wanton disregard for mathematical/statistical clarity.

As an aside, are you guys using any sort of stats software like SAS or STATA, maybe matlab? Excel is ok for the most part, but it lacks a lot of definition. The user guides for the software might help out.

For example. I searched sigmaXY before sumxy because that is what we are really talking about. Might be something to think about on the next googlefu parade.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Fan of EMR
Quote:
For whatever reason every TA in my program is out to fail us. He wanted to give me a 0 but the answer was correct.
If the prof doesn't fix it, take it to the dean of the program, then the dean of the school/degree, then the dean of students.

This reminds me of when teachers and profs accused me of cheating because I did not write all of the steps to a math problem. I always explained; how did I cheat if I finished first? Also kind of difficult to get better grades than those I supposedly cheated off of.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Barned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77monteballer View Post
Damn. And I thought math 9 was hard....
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
If the prof doesn't fix it, take it to the dean of the program, then the dean of the school/degree, then the dean of students.

This reminds me of when teachers and profs accused me of cheating because I did not write all of the steps to a math problem. I always explained; how did I cheat if I finished first? Also kind of difficult to get better grades than those I supposedly cheated off of.
I have no doubt my prof will make it right, he's a great guy. Honestly, I'm not sure what crawled up the guy's you-know-where, I'm just glad it's a minor assignment and not a test. I did that in high school and my teachers all gave me hell about how in University profs are evil and nothing will be tolerated!!!! D:

Now that I'm here, I have no idea wtf any of them were talking about, even the profs I don't like are great at what they do and relatively laid back by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
Damn. And I thought math 9 was hard....
It's honestly pretty simple math it just looks scary.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat