mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Are you a spy to learn that much language for to go all over the world? :3

I may like to learn a 3rd language myself
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Lol, well I've always wanted to be a cop, languages help. But as I progress through my majors at Uni I find that I'd rather work overseas, so learning languages became a must. I also hang out with our exchange students and international students a lot, so my wanting to head oversees is a bigger thing than before now.

Fluency in English and French, plus at least a working knowledge in German should help me get around a lot when I hit Europe, Mandarin is the most widely spoken language, and Spanish cause I want to understand what she says...you know xD Arabic and Latin are both on the list, but I think Arabic and Mandarin would be too much at once.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The only Spanish you'll ever need with that gal is "Me gusta tus tetas!"
Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

German is tricky since they have more regional accents than most countries, what you tend to learn in school is high German and when you get out into the country side people struggle to understand it (my mother did a German degree and still had problems when we went), luckily most of them speak good English.

The French however are fanatical about preserving their language so are reluctant to speak anything else to the extent that Charles De Gaulle airport is one of the most dangerous to land at in the world as they refuse to speak English to pilots (like the rest of the civilised world) which can lead to misunderstandings.

If you can speak Spanish you can pretty much speak Italian.
Cannon Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
My Sister-in-Law speaks several languages (at least 5 I can think of) and she swears by Rosetta Stone. Of course nothing works better than exposing yourself to the language/ culture, CDs maybe?

Edit** And after reading the above, my Dad can speak Italian and can understand a lot of spanish, more than enough to get around.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
If you can speak Spanish you can pretty much speak Italian.
How's that? I found my slight knowledge of Spanish got in the way of trying to converse in Italian. Mainly because, only a few words are the same or similar. I kept using Spanish words that Italians could not understand.

A Spanish speaking friend also found the same difficulty when he travelled to Italy. He ended up speaking English because it was easier to be understood that way.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorjk View Post
best way ive found is this. Live there :-P

Also, carry a small notebook with you and write down some of the sentences on how you think it sounds (phonetics) then also write down the exact way its spellled with proper punctuation. Then write in english what the direct translation would be.

This will help you get the sound, also see the proper way its spelled and the translation. Writing it down like so will help your brain remember/memorize what you are learning.

example

Phonetic -Ick How Vahn Yow
Proper - Ik hou van jou.
Translation - I love you
(dutch btw)

on a side note, when you are fluent in German, you are almost 90% fluent in Dutch
You'll still have to learn Frisian, though.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
How's that? I found my slight knowledge of Spanish got in the way of trying to converse in Italian. Mainly because, only a few words are the same or similar. I kept using Spanish words that Italians could not understand.

A Spanish speaking friend also found the same difficulty when he travelled to Italy. He ended up speaking English because it was easier to be understood that way.
I get this every time I visit Ottawa. I start using french and English interchangeably and everyone thinks I'm dumb >_<
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJimmy666 View Post
I get this every time I visit Ottawa. I start using french and English interchangeably and everyone thinks I'm dumb >_<
I know your pain. While as a 2nd generation Japanese, I can speak Japanese with perfect accent. I don't know formal Japanese, so Every time I go to japan for business. I look like a idiot because I don't understand what my clients are saying.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

For German, Rammstein and oomph have helped me learn by myself, however pronunciation is a Completley different bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Step 1: plant trees
Step 2: wait
---
No bunkers necessary, and your yard will look lovely!

My feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat