mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Anyone ever shipped a guitar? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/216166-anyone-ever-shipped-guitar.html)

canuckistani 10-15-2012 10:25 PM

Anyone ever shipped a guitar?

I'm thinking about selling my bass. I don't play anymore, so I may as well sell it to buy something else. I've been considering posting it online, but i'd like to get an idea on shipping something so big and heavy first. If anyone has any experience in this area, i'd love to hear your opinions.

For those curious what I've got, it's a limited edition Epiphone Thunderbird in candy apple red with a white pick guard. It'll come in a hard case.

dmercure 10-15-2012 10:31 PM

pain in the a$$. I'd say you'll spend about $50 to ship properly. And then, there's always that risk of some idiot drops it from that perfect height to break something. I'd craigslist it and go local.

canuckistani 10-15-2012 10:51 PM

That's where insurance comes into play. It'll be secured properly. Hell, if it's only $50, I'll post it up.

RAZRBAKK 10-15-2012 10:56 PM

It's not all that bad. If you have a case to ship it in, that helps a lot. If not, just pack it well, in a spacious box with a bunch of padding, and you're good to go.

Long Beard 10-15-2012 10:58 PM

I shipped my acoustic guitar a couple times to get some work done by the manufacturer. In a hard case that's boxed up right you're fine. Locally you don't have to worry about the hassle, but if someone wants your bass, they'll cover shipping costs.

blackrain 10-15-2012 11:20 PM

I was always told when I flew to loosen the strings. So if it goes by air, might be some good info.
Later,
Blackrain :)

Deus Machina 10-15-2012 11:26 PM

Yes, loosen the strings. I've heard tales of guitars that go into a garage in tune in the fall, come back after winter with a cracked nut or the neck mounts pulling free. Or just snapping the springs when they contract from the cold. But I only have my cheap electric, in Florida weather. The clearcoat didn't like that. It's now a project of mine.

Otherwise, I'd suggest selling it local to make it quick and easy. Or insure it for twice what it's worth, and jump on them if anything happens.

dmercure 10-15-2012 11:30 PM

Guess it's me and my bad luck/experience.

RAZRBAKK 10-15-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deus Machina (Post 2505970)
Yes, loosen the strings. I've heard tales of guitars that go into a garage in tune in the fall, come back after winter with a cracked nut or the neck mounts pulling free. Or just snapping the springs when they contract from the cold. But I only have my cheap electric, in Florida weather. The clearcoat didn't like that. It's now a project of mine.

Otherwise, I'd suggest selling it local to make it quick and easy. Or insure it for twice what it's worth, and jump on them if anything happens.

I had a truss rod go on me because I left a guitar in the garage for a few months with a heavy gauge on it.

canuckistani 10-15-2012 11:50 PM

So, $50 sounds about right for shipping? Minus insurance, etc.