mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sneaky S.O.B.

I would definitely check your state laws first. I live in IL and anything that shoots over a .18 (with the exception of paintballs) projectile or over 700 fps is considered a firearm and is subject to all applicable laws
alphasniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via MSN to sparky Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Not sure if this is a big help but it gets the idea out anyway.

In Canada we classify air guns as firearms if they shoot over the velocity of 485 fps and anything that has a certain amount of Joules upon impact. Really simple.

I personally love both .177 and .22 air rifles, but lean towards .22 as it's a lot better for removing pest species from my yard..... I would love to get into shooting large caliber air rifles (.308, .50) and try to hunt larger game. Too lazy to get the licence though
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

.22 pellet gun with pressurized gas is awesome, especially around 900-1000 FPS. it is classified as a firearm in Canada so it's not something you should get caught with, unless you make it adjustable velocity and know you can lock it down to 450 FPS quickly and securely

Coolest part: you can buy all kinds of high-end .22 airgun hunting bullets which are much heavier, and when fired at high subsonic/supersonic velocity they have a great deal of hunting performance for small game. The subsonic configuration is also great due to the ability to be silent, although the reduced power at lower velocities limits the size of the game somewhat... hence the application for higher caliber subsonic airguns (which again, are lethal and classified as firearms and must be treated as such and used under license here)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 10-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasniper View Post
I would definitely check your state laws first. I live in IL and anything that shoots over a .18 ...
Every state is subject to its own oddball laws.

For the federal rules, to be a firearm, you MUST have a propellant that goes through a deflagration. (ie gunpowder, etc).

This is why you can have .22 pellet gun that shoots 1000fps+ and its not an issue, at the federal level.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

I was thinking of the crosman 2300kt carbine, anyone own one? I was planning on getting the .22 cal version.
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Sneaky S.O.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Every state is subject to its own oddball laws.

For the federal rules, to be a firearm, you MUST have a propellant that goes through a deflagration. (ie gunpowder, etc).

This is why you can have .22 pellet gun that shoots 1000fps+ and its not an issue, at the federal level.
That would be why I said check state laws. Even if its not considered a firearm at the federal level, it doesn't mean the state feels the same....
alphasniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

How much is the price difference between .22 and .177? Is fps affected that much? I am looking for a gun that is "pistol" like but has to have a stock. One that Doesn't take up much space at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I would add that under US Federal law, in addition to using combustible propellant, the weapon also must use self-contained cartridges, so muzzle-loading black powder rifles are not "firearms" under Federal law--I think. I'm not an attorney, though, so don't act on this information without doing your research, check your state & local laws, don't be a moron, etc.

To further muddy the waters, under the National Firearms Act, a "silencer" (as NFA calls it), is in and of itself a "firearm," even without any actual 'gun' attached.

See guys? It's perfectly simple & easy to understand.

Edit: Oh, Kansas, you are in New York? Be very careful. I believe that in New York state, local jurisdictions can create their own hodge-podge of firearm laws, turning the state into a big paint-by-numbers map of changing rules. So you need to understand Federal law, state law, and every locality where you plan to have the air rifle.

Last edited by Axel; 10-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

Any recommendations on guns?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Air Guns and Airsoft Guns | Your Source for Air Guns and Air Gun Accessories has a great blog with excellent reviews. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for. My all-rounder is a RWS 48 in .22.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat