mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

Difference between .22 pellet gun and "firearm"

First let me start off with saying I am not looking for a link to a government document stating the reasons why a .22 pellet gun is different then a fire arm =D. So I go interested in purchasing a .22 pellet gun (I am 16). I found out that for some reason there are .22 cal guns! Some rifles and some actually go full auto. How is it legal to own a .22 pellet gun, isn't it similar to a real .22 gun?
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Is it something to do with velocity maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
gun powder?

#138 Steeel Reserve
Sposored by Valken Sports and PnL Paintball

Batteries are for toys, not paintball guns.

PMI-II Piranha SB, Sterling STP, Nelson Challenger, VM-68, I play with guns older than my wife.

Wish list; automag, nova/supernova

MY Feedback
Kayleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Faces Mowed: -1

Palmers Fan
Best check what your state legislature thinks is a firearm first.
We'd fire no junk, shed no tears
Now I have a broken eliminator on Halifax pier, the last of USI's privateers
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by El Super Beasto; 10-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.
El Super Beasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I believe a firearm is classified as a device that uses a explosive to propel a bullet. The .22 pellet rifles use air pressure. Most .22 pellet guns can shoot 700-1200 fps, which is slower (still deadly) than a .22 firearm. As for accuracy, a .22 pellet gun can be just as accurate as a .22 firearm. There are a great many .22 pellet rifles that can shoot dime sized groupings at yards. Just so you know, they also have 9mm, .45, .50 and .357 (semi auto!) pellet rifles that shoot at just below subsonic as well.
Nbanwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
First let me start off with saying I am not looking for a link to a government document stating the reasons why a .22 pellet gun is different then a fire arm =D. So I go interested in purchasing a .22 pellet gun (I am 16). I found out that for some reason there are .22 cal guns! Some rifles and some actually go full auto. How is it legal to own a .22 pellet gun, isn't it similar to a real .22 gun?
First off its legal to own a real .22 if you are of age in the USA in most places. You need to be 18 to PURCHASE airguns or longarms(rifles and shotguns) but you have to fill out a form and do a background check if going through a dealer for a firearm. There are at least two .22's in my house right now, they are fun and cheap to shoot. I also have a Gamo .177 air rifle and its not as much fun but much cheaper and I can shoot it in my yard. If you want a fun air rifle look here.

Full auto firearms are legal with a pile of paperwork provided it was manufactured and registered prior to April 1986, look up NFA Firearms laws. You won't find a LEGAL full auto anything for less than a few thousand dollars and you need to be 21 to even start the paperwork. Tippmann actually made a belt fed .22LR machine gun, its pretty cool.

Airguns use air, firearms use combustion. They are classified differently under most state laws and the ATF doesn't have control over them from what I remember.

High powered airguns typically cost a lot more than a basic 22LR rifle for much less power and they are usually not as accurate in a similar price. I can get a $200-300 .22LR that will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards, I have never seen a similarly priced air rifle thats even close to that.

Some areas have regulations on airguns too, I seem to recall NJ having to get a rifle permit to get an airgun. In NY you might have issues too, I know NYC has a ton of extra regulations and I don't know what has spilled over into the rest of the state.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

They do sell full auto air rifles and no you don't need piles of paper work unless the state you live in is overly restrictive (New York, New Jersey, California). The capabilities of those air rifles are usually under 600fps though, can be deadly but more considered very dangerous. None the less you need to be at least 18 to buy or use with out adult supervision. I'd rather have a .22 rifle (firearm) than an air rifle. If your restricted from firearm use in certain areas it implies air rifles as well (usually with in city limits).
MD426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was talking about full auto firearms with that paper work bit but yes you can get a full auto airgun without any more trouble than a standard airgun in most states. Check out the Tippmann M98 turned F/A belt fed .22 air rifle.

Some locations restrict the discharge of firearms but not airguns, others restrict both (normally cities and more populated areas). On top of that you have issues with what is legal being different from what gets you in trouble. Even if airguns are legal to use in your area you can still get harassed by the police or by neighbors especially if you wander about with it.

The question I have for you is this, why do you want a .22 cal air rifle instead of a more standard .177?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

I shot a friends .177 and a .22 and felt the .22 was just more enjoyable. Unless ofcourse its due to the gun I was using.
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
I shot a friends .177 and a .22 and felt the .22 was just more enjoyable. Unless ofcourse its due to the gun I was using.
That could be a big part of it, like paintball markers some air rifles are nicer than others. What were you shooting? My air rifle and my friends are almost the same, the only real difference is the stock and the name it was sold by and I find mine far more enjoyable to shoot.

If its objects then 22 does seem more fun to shoot normally since it hits with more energy and breaks things faster, if its paper or light targets then save the money and shoot .177.

A word of warning, don't get the most powerful air rifle you can afford and this is especially true with spring powered air rifles. The most accurate air rifle I have ever owned was a 670FPS springer. It shot dime sized groups at 25 yards where my current 1000FPS springer doesn't like to hold groups that small no matter what pellet I use. Sure the old one didn't have the power of the new one but that didn't matte when I didn't even hit what I was aiming for.

Also the PCP or pre-charged pneumatic take a good bit of money to get started with that isn't normally included in the price of the rifle. Add $150+ for a decent hand pump and thats just the start. Some of them come with integrated sights but a lot of the higher end ones do not and you will need to add a scope and mounting system to your budget.

I don't know what ones you were looking at or your price range but check out PyramidAir to see reviews on a lot of the airguns out there. Some really cool looking ones are crap, some kind of ugly ones kick ***, check the reviews.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat