General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sailor by choice
Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
How big is "Big Oil" (picture intensive)

As some of you may know I drive a supply vessel in the Gulf of Mexico for a living. The time standing by offshore often turns into deep thinking for me and this morning while I was coming into port the general scale of things really struck me. I'm not sure many American's realize the size of the equipment and facilitys never mind the oilfeild itself.
This is where one of my hobbies, photography, comes in. In the past year in the gulf I have taken nearly 900 photos of stuff that I think is cool. The beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the weather, platforms, vessels of all kinds. I hope you all enjoy and get a feel for the amazing equipment I find myself taking for granted.

This first picture is the Brutus platform. It is a floating production platform that is called a TLP, or tension leg platform. To get an idea for size, the supply vessel Hannah Chouest along side is 280' long.

This is another TLP called Shenzi, my vessel occasionally services it. These two photos were taken from ranges of 75 and 200 meters from the wheelhouse of my vessel about 35' above the water.

Here is another of the Brutus with the 260' Stim Star III at a close standby

This is a 200,000 pound wellhead being lifted up to the rig off my deck, notice the size of my deckhands.

The rig I normally service, Developmental Driller One, with the crew boat Fast Skipper in the foreground. Photo taken from 500 meters.

We are about 30 meters off the drillship CR Luigs in this picture with the 280' Harvey Carrier sterned up to the forward crane.

The Developmental Driller One with the well stimulation vessel BJ Blue Dolphin sterned up to them. She is about 320' long

Here in fourchon is the fist of the true "big boats" the Akira Chouest. She is every bit of 320' long and sitting almost entirely inside Shell's shed at slip nine in C-Port Two.

Rig anchor chain being lifted for storage at Fourchon heavy lift

Tetra Hedon, one of the largest floating pedestal cranes in the world. The crew boat tied up to its stern is about 100' long

Even with how huge all of this stuff is, things can still seem pretty small when viewed from certian angles.
"I don't like a man who carries a sawed off 12 gauge under his coat, because He doesnt like to miss" -Bob Lee Swagger

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA Baby Ollie
Send a message via AIM to Marmaduke

Cool photos! That looks like a fun job.
PBN Feedback 11/0/0
MCB Feedback 8/0/0
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
eBay Feedback 5/0/0
Marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

super cool pictures! i really enjoyed looking at these.
sQuidvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Dude, Those chains the guys are standing next to about halfway down look like they are 3-4 feet long! I watched this cool video of a helicopter landing on one, I'll see if I can find it again. That thing look like 3 mini Kowloon Walled Cities tied together!
Sunkistsniper on XBL and Minecraft. Sunkist_Sniper on PS4.

Last edited by Bow; 11-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Featuring Death

My jaw dropped when I saw the size of the chain. I didn't realize how massive oil drilling machines are.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Awesome pictures. Educational too!
Canadian Response

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gobble Gobble...

Palmers Fan
Great pictures! I lived in Galveston for a while and can remember how big all of that equipment was. I haven't seen any of that stuff in years. Thanks for sharing!!
HokiePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
awesome pictures! Leaving near the St. Lawrence seaway I have seen many freighters and tankers traveling the river.
These ships are huge and seeing them dwarfed by that rig really puts them in perspective, to just how massive that oil rig is.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very cool. Who does the security for those rigs? Can you get me a name of the company possibly?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Stockclass player

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
That chain is intense! Really great photos!

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply » General » General Chat