mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Power steering whine, fluid not low (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/218313-power-steering-whine-fluid-not-low.html)

desertT1 11-11-2012 12:27 PM

Power steering whine, fluid not low

2004 Ford Escape
131,XXX miles
3.0 V6

Started doing this recently. There are no leaks in the system. In a previous vehicle, I would get this whine from a leak when the fluid got really low. Now, there is that same whining sound, but it is always there. At idle it's fairly low, same with when driving straight. But, when turning (at almost any speed), it becomes more obvious. Any guesses?

Melvin 11-11-2012 01:14 PM

It's gotta be the power steering pump itself

MAYBE the belt

darylparkinson 11-11-2012 01:16 PM

Does it have a remote resivor for the power steering fuild? If so I have seen the fine screen on the bottom plug up and starve the pump for fluid. ( sound like it is out of fluid but isn't) Has the fluid ever been replaced? If you have a mechanic's stephascope check the pump ( place the end on the pump and have someone turn the steering wheel) if it is the pump you will know.

Melvin 11-11-2012 01:24 PM

there should be a resevoir or some sort (have to store the liquid somewhere) probably looks kinda similar to the brake fluid resevoir. And if memory serves, there is a dip stick attached to the lid.

desertT1 11-11-2012 01:46 PM

I checked the reservoir and it is full, no leaks. I don't think the fluid has ever been changed. I will see if there is a drain of some sort and look for a clog. That would be a pretty good situation to find honestly. Better than having to replace something.

darylparkinson 11-11-2012 03:44 PM

There will not be a drain, what I have done in the past is remove the return line at the pump. Will be held on with either a spring clamp or gear clamp. Remove the line and install a longer one, place it in a pan or bucket. Start car, then stop car refill resievor, Repeat 3 or 4 times. Reattach hose fill and bleed system.

Curt 11-11-2012 03:54 PM

Just sounds like your pump is on its way out. They do wear out internally. And if your changing it your self make sure you get a good quality pump, napa sells rebuilt ones but as I found out on more than vehicle that the rebuilt ones don't always work.

gainman 11-11-2012 04:48 PM

Did you check the belt? It's an easy one

Dysturbed87 11-11-2012 08:20 PM

If it were the serpentine belt than you would hear squealing. Since you said the fluid isn't low than that rules out that issue. It is more than likely going to be the pump itself. As someone else has said, they wear out and start making noise. So replacing the pump should take care of the noise

delta paintball 11-12-2012 12:03 AM

This just happened to my truck. The pump was shot.