mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   For the Battlestar Galactica Fans (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/218389-battlestar-galactica-fans.html)

Brother Jerry 11-12-2012 10:28 AM

For the Battlestar Galactica Fans

If you enjoyed Battlestar Galactica and want more....

Machinima is putting out Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. It goes back to the first war and is Bill Adama fresh out of the academy....effects are spectacular just like the original show....well worth the watch so far.

Machinima | Gameplay Videos, Game Trailers, Gaming News and Original Shows or look for episode 1 and 2 on Youtube.

Heres a taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcLF9V0_6o

nickydp33 11-12-2012 10:33 AM

I enjoy Galactica, watched the new one few years back. Always wanted to see what happened in the first war. Thank you for this!

Luckless 11-12-2012 12:31 PM

Looks like it should be decent. Shame Caprica got canned as it was getting really good. Hopefully this one holds its legs and lets them complete a full story line that leads into another spin off series.

Dr. VonDeafingson 11-13-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckless (Post 2531686)
Looks like it should be decent. Shame Caprica got canned as it was getting really good. Hopefully this one holds its legs and lets them complete a full story line that leads into another spin off series.

Ehh I'm okay with caprica getting canned. It didn't stick to the storyline set by battlestar galactica.

Also from what I understand, machinima prime isn't airing the entire show. The show will start on scifi as well in feb with content not seen in the web series.

Luckless 11-13-2012 04:56 PM

Yeah, reading a little more, this is sounding like it is only the pilot, and the series itself was never picked up and already canned. Which is disappointing, as the way a few other people had been talking about this I was under the impression this was the pilot, in full, being released as teasers to drum up fan base support for the full series being launched in the new year.

As for Caprica, what parts strayed from the storyline? Maybe I missed a few points from BSG, but I was getting the impression that they were sticking with things and filling in stuff that wasn't really mentioned one way or another, with a few elements having shifted into legend. (Which is one element of human life that I often see missed when people write early prequels, and they show everything as it was said to have happened, and forget that things can go one way and be said to have been another later on. Victors write the history books, along with revisionist historians and what not.)

Dr. VonDeafingson 11-13-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckless (Post 2532827)
Yeah, reading a little more, this is sounding like it is only the pilot, and the series itself was never picked up and already canned. Which is disappointing, as the way a few other people had been talking about this I was under the impression this was the pilot, in full, being released as teasers to drum up fan base support for the full series being launched in the new year.

As for Caprica, what parts strayed from the storyline? Maybe I missed a few points from BSG, but I was getting the impression that they were sticking with things and filling in stuff that wasn't really mentioned one way or another, with a few elements having shifted into legend. (Which is one element of human life that I often see missed when people write early prequels, and they show everything as it was said to have happened, and forget that things can go one way and be said to have been another later on. Victors write the history books, along with revisionist historians and what not.)

There's another part airing Friday so who knows how many episodes will air online before the actual show's launch in February.

Caprica had many deviations from the storyline, but here are the two biggest ones that stick out to me.

1. William Adama died.

2. Zoey invents resurrection for the cylons in caprica before the cylons are even rolled into service. In BSG the final 5 are revealed to have granted the cylons with resurrection after the end of the first cylon war.

Caprica was initially pitched as a completely separate series from BSG, but the execs at scifi had the script changed to include the cylons and the Adama family. So instead of being a potentially awesome standalone series, we got a lame BSG spin-off.

blackrain 11-13-2012 11:59 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMM funny I don't remember that happening in the originol Battlestar Galactica.

Where was Lorn Green? I didn't even see Boxy.

Later,
Blackrain :)

Luckless 11-14-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. VonDeafingson (Post 2532846)
There's another part airing Friday so who knows how many episodes will air online before the actual show's launch in February.

Caprica had many deviations from the storyline, but here are the two biggest ones that stick out to me.

1. William Adama died.

2. Zoey invents resurrection for the cylons in caprica before the cylons are even rolled into service. In BSG the final 5 are revealed to have granted the cylons with resurrection after the end of the first cylon war.

Caprica was initially pitched as a completely separate series from BSG, but the execs at scifi had the script changed to include the cylons and the Adama family. So instead of being a potentially awesome standalone series, we got a lame BSG spin-off.

Ah, wasn't it William, the older half brother of Bill Adama who died? The Resurrection in Caprica is different from that of the later BSG. BSG is true resurrection, while the Caprica one is merely a general copy, a false resurrection, which could have been played on very nicely in later seasons as it was explored more.

HokiePB 11-14-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckless (Post 2533221)
Ah, wasn't it William, the older half brother of Bill Adama who died? The Resurrection in Caprica is different from that of the later BSG. BSG is true resurrection, while the Caprica one is merely a general copy, a false resurrection, which could have been played on very nicely in later seasons as it was explored more.

This is correct, from what I remember (I just finished watching Caprica for the first time a few weeks ago). In the final episode they specifically mention that Joseph's second son is named "William" after his deceased older brother (stating that it's Tauron tradition or something).

Also, it's pretty clear the "resurrection program" Zoey invents isn't really resurrection in the same sense the cylons have in the reimagined series. It just makes a copy of someone's personality within "V-world." When Zoey made her own avatar with the program she intentionally left out specific details of herself, making V-world Zoey a unique person (or whatever she was). I think the idea was to present a way for cylon's to have become sentient without the general human population realizing it. And also to provide an origin for the cylon religon.

Dr. VonDeafingson 11-14-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckless (Post 2533221)
Ah, wasn't it William, the older half brother of Bill Adama who died?

:bang:

It's been awhile since I watched either series.

I still feel that had the series progressed more, we would see further deviation from the BSG storyline, especially leading up to the cylon war.