mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

If it were titled anything else, I might want to go see it. But as "World War Z", a book that I found really interesting if for nothing else than the level of research that Max Brooks put into it, it's a fail. Running vs. walking zombies changes the entire tone of the story, as stupid as such a small detail might seem. You go from being able to hunker down and defend yourself against walkers to having almost zero hope against zombies that can build a tower out of themselves to get over walls and obstacles. It's just dumb. I wonder how Brooks feels about this abortion?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

it couldn't be any worse then the book itself, IMO. Tried to read it but could not get through even the beginning.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Horrible, doesnt resemble the book at all.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
You go from being able to hunker down and defend yourself against walkers to having almost zero hope against zombies that can build a tower out of themselves to get over walls and obstacles.
In the book, the soldiers were not able to "hunker down" when fighting at NYC. They were still overrun. Near the end, they talk about forcing the zombies to make make "zombie walls" that they had to climb over, making them easier to shoot. I think this is where the scene in the movie comes from?

But to answer your question, here is the author saying what he thinks of "fast zombies":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1o-9EWGbjQ

I agree that its not like the book. But ever since "Bourne Identity", I try to keep an open mind. That movie really pissed me off. It was nothing like the book. Only vagely using parts of the first chapter. Different themes, etc. But I've later found the movie enjoyable, as long as I consider it unrelated to the books.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
In the book, the soldiers were not able to "hunker down" when fighting at NYC. They were still overrun. Near the end, they talk about forcing the zombies to make make "zombie walls" that they had to climb over, making them easier to shoot. I think this is where the scene in the movie comes from?

Yeah, but that was walls of dead zombies that the walkers had to climb over. They weren't climbing over still-moving zeds in a reanimated tsunami of flesh and bone or forming towers to reach survivors.

And there were outposts in the book that lasted through the conflict by simply barricading themselves in. I'd cite specific examples but I don't have my copy of the book here, I loaned it out to a friend to read. But off the top of my head I remember the Brits and Russians had at least one fortress apiece that held against the zombies until the main forces were able to recover and return.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Yeah, but that was walls of dead zombies that the walkers had to climb over. They weren't climbing over still-moving zeds in a reanimated tsunami of flesh and bone or forming towers to reach survivors.

And there were outposts in the book that lasted through the conflict by simply barricading themselves in. I'd cite specific examples but I don't have my copy of the book here, I loaned it out to a friend to read. But off the top of my head I remember the Brits and Russians had at least one fortress apiece that held against the zombies until the main forces were able to recover and return.
Don't forget the Israelis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. VonDeafingson View Post
Don't forget the Israelis.
Exactly, there were no tsunamis of zombies in Jerusalem or over the wall, per Brooks history the wall wasnt finished around whole Jerusalem, so it was partially abandoned.

Though, with all the due respect to Brooks, he doesnt seem to know Jerusalem that well, for a better defense against zombies the whole city must be held. Topography is important.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

So they have a hivemind?

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gobble Gobble...

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I agree that its not like the book. But ever since "Bourne Identity", I try to keep an open mind. That movie really pissed me off. It was nothing like the book. Only vagely using parts of the first chapter. Different themes, etc. But I've later found the movie enjoyable, as long as I consider it unrelated to the books.
Agree with this sentiment. This is exactly the way that I approach most movie adaptations of books. Rarely will you see a screenplay that faithfully recreates a novel, but that doesn't necessarily make for a bad movie.

Unfortunately this looks like it might have been better marketed as a prequel for "I Am Legend" than as WWZ. Come to think of it, I Am Legend is another example of a(n arguably good) movie that is only loosely based on a great book.
HokiePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
As much as I love The Walking Dead, I have to say the zombie genre's pretty played out. How many variations can they make on that premise and still be original?

If I want to watch an awesome zombie movie, I'll put in Fido. That's still my favorite.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat