mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Great, looks like i have to give in and finally get a smart phone

Keep in mind I said "have to" not want to. Ive been holding back because I really have no need for one but my preferance for "basic" phones must come to an end due to them slowly being phased out. So my contract is up next month and AT-T is going to cut me a deal that will make upgrading fairly painless and save me like 45 bucks a mo' compared to my current package. So I have no clue what is what or what to stay away from, so what do you have and what steered you to that make/model. I-phones are not a consideration (not an apple fan, so im not wasting the $) Weight, batt life, durability, ease of operation, even the quality of the add-ons like cases and screen covers/skins. what should I look for or be aware of?
hostiletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Sorry to hear that. I hope they don't phase me out. I'll stay on my $14/month plan as long as possible.
To hell with "smart" phones, they don't do anything well.
-Too slow of computing to be a computer, plus no keyboard.
-Too small a screen to be a good media player.
-Too poor of battery life to be worth a damn as a phone.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I hate my touch screen. I don't pay for my phone so it wasn't really my choice. I find I use it as a clock/watch more often than anything else. Next I use it to check the weather, I don't have TV reception at home. Sometimes I use my calender as well. Every great while I call somebody.

My phone should be a convenience item. When I start to feel like I need to bring it with me, something is wrong.

I know what your going through. It's going to suck.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If your current phone works, why cant you just renew the contract and keep your phone?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
I like Spyders now

Use an iPhone before swearing it off. It is the most life changing piece piece of electronics you will ever own.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf2Live View Post
Use an iPhone before swearing it off. It is the most life changing piece piece of electronics you will ever own.
What if someone doesn't want to have their life changed? I work with some Iphone users. No thank you, if staring at a phone all the time is life, count me out. I'll settle for the box on my desk.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Obeastly View Post
What if someone doesn't want to have their life changed? I work with some Iphone users. No thank you, if staring at a phone all the time is life, count me out. I'll settle for the box on my desk.
Could not agree more. I have no interest in staying "more connected" never needed the things a "smartphone" offers before and really do not see the need to change. I've never texted and refuse to open them from others. A cell phone for me is a way to check in with my family if my plans change. That is why it usually sits in my car and usually is turned off.

I have to tell co-workers to put up their phones all the time because they seem obsessed with "staying in-touch or in the know" and not getting done what needs getting done. Annoys the hell out of me to be asked to lunch then sit there while those who asked me sit there surfing and texting, why ask for my company? Daily get the **** scared out of me on my commute because someone had to answer, talk on or god forbid text while driving. Society survived a long time and functioned just fine without them. Granted they are a tool and as tools are neither good or evil but the societal obsession with them is ridiculous and I refuse to be part of it.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonMarket

I just can't believe I have a phone that has to load the damned phone function for a few seconds before being able to dial. Oh, and once it crashed.

Also, one of the most tragic things I've seen was my mom, brother and sister sitting around the table staring into their phones and playing wordfeud against each other.

Oh well, at least the Xperia I got is waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf2Live View Post
In my opinion, what it really comes down to is give you a new set of unnecessary needs. It's just another drug.

Action hero at www.flashpointevent.se
Media jedi at www.tacticalstore.se

Last edited by PoisonMarket; 11-14-2012 at 07:03 AM.
PoisonMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

If they still have it, pick up a Samsung Focus Flash. If they don't, the Lumia 900 is the next choice (better, but a bit more expensive).
I got my Flash when I upgraded from my POSberry. It does what I need it to, nothing else, and only cost $4.99. Droids and iPhones have nice toy features...but if you want something basic that is low cost and just does the basics, go Windows.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
I like Spyders now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post

Full disclosure: I have an iPhone 4s (unlocked) and I actually use the features. My spouse has an iPhone and we share data on a number of apps like GroceryIQ (instant sync of grocery lists), Expenses (monthly tracking of who spent what on gas, groceries etc), synced calendars etc. We might be able to get by with Android phones but they'd take more effort to do what we want. I don't have a data plan and use everything over Wi-Fi.
This is exactly the type of thing that I was referring to. I use mine for practical purposes, to save me time, or increase my productivity.

- Manage my financial accounts
- Manage my fuel usage and maintenance schedules for my vehicles
- Emergency Weather Updates for my locale and those of family members that live elsewhere
- Instant news tailored to only what I care about sent directly to me
- Locate new restaurants in an unfamiliar area while traveling
- Live HD cameras for local surf breaks
- Local public transit with maps and schedules (even real time arrival/departures of buses and trains)
- Arrival/departures schedules of flights for myself or a family member I am picking up from the airport
- Find movie times and theaters
- Email
- Calculator/Conversion tables
-Reminders through the calendar synced to Google
- Check MCB in horrid waiting rooms with outdated germ infested magazines

All the while I do not have to be sitting at home in front of my television listening to information that does not apply to me to get to information that does or sifting through the same on the internet seated in front of a computer.

The list could go on. I am not one to be on my phone in the presence of others because I am married to it. I use it for the above reasons and a few more but proper manners still win out. No texting while driving either.

*Flame suit on* (Here comes my opinion)

Smart phones, tablet computing, and the like are becoming the norm. Especially as more companies, large and small, adopt them as part of their business model and not just a luxury or novelty.

Actively resisting now will do nothing more than make it more difficult for anyone to adapt to and integrate these devices/technologies into your daily life when there no longer is a choice to ignore them.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat