mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I prefer Sino-Soviet body armor (aka stand behind another peasant)
Certainly gives you more stand off.

If the numbers are true, it sounds like some impressive stuff. Seems sketchy though.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm not sure if I am reading this right but the layers(plural) are only 20nm thick but they dont specify how thick the assembled bit of polymer they shot with 9mm is.

Quote:
The type of material, called a structured polymer composite, can actually self-assemble into alternating glassy and rubbery layers. When performing ballistic tests on the material at MIT's Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies, those 20-nanometer-thick layers were able to stop a 9-millimeter bullet and seal the entryway behind it,
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
paper thin bullet proof fabric? people already get bruises from being shot through kevlar, what if this prevents bullet penetration but at the cost of breaking every bone in that area? guy might be as injured as actually getting shot...
check out this stuff

The Box O' Truth #16 - Level IIIA Armor - Page 1

imagine the busted ribs on some of those
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
It should make removing bullets that embed in your flesh easy. Imagine a bulletproof shirt, it wont penetrate the shirt but it will rip through your body inside it.

Neat technology nonetheless, i am sure it will save lives when implemented properly.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
You don't wear a Kevlar shirt do you? It wouldn't be used on its own. But combined with a non Newtonian fluid it may work well, as another poster mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
How about we just stop shooting people?

That'd be too easy right?
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
How about we just stop shooting people?

That'd be too easy right?
sure, people will just move on to stabbing

btw, how does that material work against knives? i know kevlar supposedly can stop bullets but not knives.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
I'm not sure if I am reading this right but the layers(plural) are only 20nm thick but they dont specify how thick the assembled bit of polymer they shot with 9mm is.
^This
The material stopping bullets isn't 20nm thick, the alternating layers of rubbery and glass like sections are 20nm thick. The articles posted don't actually specify how thick it has to be to stop a bullet.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

If you watch the video in the second link you will see them talking about a way of finding out how polycarbonate type material works to stop bullets. They made a test material made of alternate layers 20nm thick, shot it with micro-bullets, then cross sectioned the material to see what happened to the layers. This isn't a new material it is a new way to find out how existing material works.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarMonkey View Post
^This
The material stopping bullets isn't 20nm thick, the alternating layers of rubbery and glass like sections are 20nm thick. The articles posted don't actually specify how thick it has to be to stop a bullet.
It was also only ever shot with a small glass pellet never a real bullet. It may be travelling at the same speed but mass plays an important role in the energy (mind you, you could increase the velocity high enough to account for the discrepancy in mass fairly easily).

None the less this is an interesting development, seems like it could be the interim between current tech and carbon nano tubes.

EDIT @ MarkT: You are correct, the material itself is not new, it was the analysis performed and the manufacturing process that is new. The analysis of the polycarbonate lead them to observe a certain behaviour, then they extrapolated from that devising a method to take advantage of the knowledge in a new way. Same way that Spectra (for example) is not a new material by any stretch, the thing that is new and interesting about it is the specific blend of existing materials and the weave. At least that is my understanding of it.

Last edited by Keys_JR; 11-16-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat