mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   New bullet proof material - only 20 nanometer thick. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/218653-new-bullet-proof-material-only-20-nanometer-thick.html)

CCM Photographer 11-15-2012 02:47 PM

New bullet proof material - only 20 nanometer thick.

Paper-Thin Super Material Stops Flying Bullets : Discovery News

Bullet proof 20 nanometer thick Super Material – MIT & Rice | Tech Aunt

Quote:

Team of Researchers led by Rice materials scientist Ned Thomas from Rice University and MIT created special this material like paper that were able to stop bullets. The type of material is called a structured polymer composite, It’s only 20-nanometer-thick layers but able to stop a 9-millimeter bullet.
I feel like I'm being trolled because this stuff sounds to crazy to be true.

DNA: 2.5nm
Nano-polymer composite: 20nm
Human Hair: 50,000nm - 100,000nm

ApoC_101 11-15-2012 02:50 PM

paper-thin? average paper is 75,000 - 100,000 nanometers thick.... nice job guys :p

and yea... awesome. maybe space technology will actually be able to survive the junk field around the earth someday :)

heinous 11-15-2012 02:57 PM

paper thin bullet proof fabric? people already get bruises from being shot through kevlar, what if this prevents bullet penetration but at the cost of breaking every bone in that area? guy might be as injured as actually getting shot...

Interceptor 11-15-2012 03:04 PM

Combine it with the liquid body armor and the whole area would go rigid, spreading the impacts out and lessening damage from over penetration. Maybe?

idkfa 11-15-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2534784)
paper thin bullet proof fabric? people already get bruises from being shot through kevlar, what if this prevents bullet penetration but at the cost of breaking every bone in that area? guy might be as injured as actually getting shot...

I suppose you could incorporate it into a padded flak vest and maintain the bullet stopping capabilities of kevlar and still be considerably lighter? I doubt it was intended to be worn as the only layer of protection.

ApoC_101 11-15-2012 03:08 PM

heinous, it's probably an expensive material, and if used for body armour it would no doubt be combined with an energy dissipating under-layer for sure.

Mayvik 11-15-2012 03:19 PM

I prefer Sino-Soviet body armor (aka stand behind another peasant)

ta2maki 11-15-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCM Photographer (Post 2534775)
I feel like I'm being trolled because this stuff sounds to crazy to be true.

In the photo they are using looks like the guy is showing a blurred piece of polycarbonate . It looks suspicously like a press release photo of the bullet proof qualities of Lexan from 20 years ago.

idkfa 11-15-2012 03:32 PM

I am starting to think that the disc might just be a visual aid for discussion. It does not state in any of these articles that they actually fired a gun at the polymer layer:

Tiny Layered Materials Make Ultra-Light Bulletproof Armor | Popular Science

They simulated bullet impact at a macroscopic level using glass beads.

DevilMayCare 11-15-2012 03:32 PM

Agreed, it seems like a "fabric" like this would flex, creating a wound channel that penetrates skin/muscle/etc even without allowing the bullet to penetrate the material in question.

I'm sure it has applications, but "instant safety shirt" doesn't seem to be one of them.