mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
Pistols

hey guys
so a friend of mine has a shotgun and its one of his hobbies besides paintball. I dont know anything about this subject but i may be interested in a pistol for starters and to see if i like it or not. Is there a best or is it like paintball where its all personal preference? I'm 6'1'' 200 lbs and want a nice Blow back pistol but i want a good gun (or the best one out there). Can you guys please help guide me on this? What is the price range like? and what should i look for? and stay away from? Certain makes? models? and whats the maintenance like? all the help is greatly appreciated.
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm no expert at all, but I really enjoyed firing pistols chambered in 9mm and .45. My all time favourite pistol to shoot thus far has been the 1911.

My advice would be to go to your local range (with your buddy would be even better) and rent some of the different handguns they offer. This can give you an idea of the calibre you are interested in as well as the general feel that you seek.

Having never owned any gun I can not comment any further than this.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
If you're from New Jersey its a PITA to get a pistol permit. So much red tape.
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello78 View Post
What is the price range like?
$100 to $4,000. Or potentially more.

and what should i look for?
Guns that feel good in your hands. It's best to handle a lot of guns and decide what you like.

and stay away from?
Stuff that is too big or too small to fit in your hands, overpriced stuff (google search is your best friend here), and stuff that shoots very expensive ammo (some ammo is easier to come by than others)

Certain makes?
The good: Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Rock Island Armory, Hi-Point (cheap and durable), Heckler and Koch (expensive but awesome), SIG Sauer (good and medium priced), Glock, and many others.

models?
Smith and Wesson M&P series, Ruger SR series, anything RIA, Hi-Point C9 (the other Hi-Points are huge and shoot like bricks), HK USP models, just about any SIG Sauer, just about any Glock...

and whats the maintenance like?
depends on the gun. most modern pistols are very easy to break down. as far as actual cleaning, unless you are shooting more than 500 rounds per outing, no more than gun solvent and oil in the barrel, oil on the feedramp, and oil on the inside of the slide is really needed. Just don't treat your gun like the craftsman wrench in the bottom of your toolbox.

Also, search "how to field strip a ____" (insert name of gun here) on youtube, as well as "how to clean a pistol".

Answers in red.

One thing I will also mention: If you are suuuuper new to guns Glock may not be your best choice--they are not the most beginner-friendly guns as they have no external safeties. Basically the only thing that keeps you from shooting yourself in the foot is not pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Hawkeye20; 11-16-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
ok cool! thanks for the quick replies. other are welcome to add more to this thread.
btw, what hard about NJ and getting a permit?
I thought it was just a back round check and they call a few references you listed within the paper work?? am i wrong? besides going to my local police station for the paper work?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
ok cool! thanks for the quick replies. other are welcome to add more to this thread.
btw, what hard about NJ and getting a permit?
I thought it was just a back round check and they call a few references you listed within the paper work?? am i wrong? besides going to my local police station for the paper work?
Yup its about 10 or so pages of crap to fill out and takes around 30-60 days depending on how much they like you. Then you have 30 days to buy a pistol. If you don't buy a pistol you have to go through the process again.

I own a Glock 19 in 9mm just because I liked the way it felt in my hand.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
my buddy showed me an urban camo pistol but he forgot who made it? is that common or is it a custom job? btw, what pistols can you hook a flashlight up to? just for the sake of my home security in the night. A lot of crap is still going on with people robbing other and what not...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
my buddy showed me an urban camo pistol but he forgot who made it? is that common or is it a custom job? btw, what pistols can you hook a flashlight up to? just for the sake of my home security in the night. A lot of crap is still going on with people robbing other and what not...
For home defense I would suggest getting a shot gun. It's also easier to obtain than a pistol. All you need a is a firearms ID card and you're set.

Most pistols you can add flashlights, lasers and scopes/red dots.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
are you serious?! that makes no sense to me. i would have thought that both would be the same process to obtain the permit. Just out of causticity, what do the police officer shoot?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Most likely custom.

As for a flashlight, any pistol that has a rail on it will accept a flashlight.

A rail looks like the one in this picture (the "teeth" under the barrel, to the right of his fingers):

and there are rails that look like this too (same place as in the picture above, just looks different):

Also, if possible, stay away from pistol lasers. Why? They can teach you to become reliant on them. What happens if you need to use it in a defensive situation, and for whatever reason the laser doesn't turn on? That split second it takes you to say "oh ****, my laser isn't working, I need to use my sights" can be a deciding factor on the outcome when someone is rushing towards you, closing a five foot gap in two steps...

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat