mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
jump in with both feet. get something and try it out. a HVLP gun is almost a must, as well as a top feeder. but you can pick up a bottom feed(siphon) gun for much cheaper. just find something and paint it. the best way is to make mistakes and learn from them. see what you are doing wrong and think how you should fix it. its not rocket science. hell, you can start small with an airbrush, just to get some technique in, then graduate to the automotive type guns.

but having a good large compressor is a big thing. if you can't get air, or the compressor is always building running, your flow for the gun will suffer. and get a good water separator with it. water in the airline will ruin any good paintjob, no matter who good you are, how good your prep is, or who expensive the equipment is.

I'll look into that first paragraph.
I got a few friends as of right now willing to give me some rims and spoilers to try.

Any names or brands for the top feed spray gun?

And explain water separator please!

And what size compressor should I be aiming for?
Slipknot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBlues View Post
For some cheap good practice paint...always ask any autobody supply place for mis-tinted paint, they will have some or they are lying. And they will sell it CHEAP! it's because a toner they put into a mix ( either to much of it or not enough ) changed the color on it and is no good to their customer, yet it is still perfectly good paint and they try to get what they can for it, just might be a weird color thats all, but great for practice and understanding the product. Might have to buy some hardener and or reducer for it though,
I'll ask a few shops for sure!

and hardener or reducer ?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Real RocknRolla

Paint has Mix ratio's

3:1:1
4:1
2:1-10%
4:1:50%-100%
ETC ETC ETC

as the formula goes it is Paint first, then the hardener/Activator ( hardens the paint so it not liquid when applied ) then the reducer ( thin's out the paint so it sprays out of the gun better ) but there are tons of paint brands out there that take different ratio's to spray the paint, for this I would always ask for a Technical data sheet on any and all products from where you buy to find out what the proper ratio would be for spraying
CanadianBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Paint has Mix ratio's

3:1:1
4:1
2:1-10%
4:1:50%-100%
ETC ETC ETC

as the formula goes it is Paint first, then the hardener/Activator ( hardens the paint so it not liquid when applied ) then the reducer ( thin's out the paint so it sprays out of the gun better ) but there are tons of paint brands out there that take different ratio's to spray the paint, for this I would always ask for a Technical data sheet on any and all products from where you buy to find out what the proper ratio would be for spraying

Ha well then, when I go buy this cheap paint I'll ask for a sheet to see what needs to be mixed to be used proper.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Real RocknRolla

I will be very surprised if any Autobody supplier you have there doesn't have any mis-tinted paint mixes for sale. Its the same as a painter saying they never had a paint run on a vehicle or they havent worked for a case of beer before
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I will be very surprised if any Autobody supplier you have there doesn't have any mis-tinted paint mixes for sale. Its the same as a painter saying they never had a paint run on a vehicle or they havent worked for a case of beer before
Haha true that! I'll probably getting offered a lot of beer if this works out.

Too bad I don't drink, guess dad will be happy !
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Devilbiss HVLP SPRAY PAINT GUN-FinishLine 4 MASTER KIT-1.3 1.5 1.8 2.2 Regulator | eBay

Hows this?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Real RocknRolla

I just sold one of those to a customer, best used for Primers, but the 1.3 Air cap would be good for most paint ( you can use any gun for any application it's all up to the person who use's it though, some just work better than others )

Shipping seems a bit much, I would take this and see if any of the local Autobody suppliers can order this in for you, might save you some money on shipping if they deal in Devilbiss supplies already. If not...EBAY AWAY!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I just sold one of those to a customer, best used for Primers, but the 1.3 Air cap would be good for most paint ( you can use any gun for any application it's all up to the person who use's it though, some just work better than others )

Shipping seems a bit much, I would take this and see if any of the local Autobody suppliers can order this in for you, might save you some money on shipping if they deal in Devilbiss supplies already. If not...EBAY AWAY!
Few friends telling me a shop thats 10 minutes away from my house has deals all the time on equipment, so probably gonna go talk to them about pricing and what I should look into getting.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

I currently use two of the these at work with the disposable cup system.
Great for most of the small to medium stuff. I shoot mostly Mil. Spec. materials on Aerospace/Turbine engine parts.
More of a functional coating for corrosion on the Aluminum & Magnesium rather than shiny.
I"m in the final process of coating the combining Gearbox of the Pratt & Whitney PT6T-3B Twin-pac in the lower pic.
Buy a decent gun if possible. Harbor freight
Paint equipment is attractive due to cost but doesn't hold up in the long run.

Some of the larger Projects from AWA.

Unconscious Competent: Eventually, after enough practice, the given task will become second nature and it will no longer feel "uncomfortable".

Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Yomama101; 11-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Yomama101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat