mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Is coyote good to eat?
that reminds me, last weekend i was in my tent and i felt one bump against my pinkie toe in my sleep. feels bad man.

we were in that parking lot at the field and we knew there were wild coyotes that would come in at night, especially after we had a huge barbeque. so like 4 in the mornimg i heard the boxer guard dog bark and figured the coyotes must be here now. thought nothing of it, went back to sleep, then the other dog squealed... accompanied by light footsteps that were much too fast for a bumbling human at night, but still sounded soft like walking.

i was pretty sure they are coyotes now, but still they were expected, so i thought nothing of it again and went back to sleep, then suddenly something poked my pinkie toe which was up against the tent fabric because the tent is dome shaped with not much leg room.

that woke me up good. whee was using my tent but i knew it wasn't him because he was sleeping on my other side. so i woke him up and then took my knife out, pretty much just slept with my pocket knife in my hands until morning. i couldn't trust just a thin layer of nylon. in fact i felt pretty vulnerable the whole time because i didn't realize how restricted my movement was in the sleeping bag... until i got spooked by that poking.

so in the morning i did a circle around my tent, but didn't find any animal prints of any kind at all. on the other hand it couldn't have been one of us, because my tent was in a corner of the lot, nobody would walk by it on his way to the bathroom. so i'm pretty sure it wasn't human, but not sure what animal it was either...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
that reminds me, last weekend i was in my tent and i felt one bump against my pinkie toe in my sleep. feels bad man.

we were in that parking lot at the field and we knew there were wild coyotes that would come in at night, especially after we had a huge barbeque. so like 4 in the mornimg i heard the boxer guard dog bark and figured the coyotes must be here now. thought nothing of it, went back to sleep, then the other dog squealed... accompanied by light footsteps that were much too fast for a bumbling human at night, but still sounded soft like walking.

i was pretty sure they are coyotes now, but still they were expected, so i thought nothing of it again and went back to sleep, then suddenly something poked my pinkie toe which was up against the tent fabric because the tent is dome shaped with not much leg room.

that woke me up good. whee was using my tent but i knew it wasn't him because he was sleeping on my other side. so i woke him up and then took my knife out, pretty much just slept with my pocket knife in my hands until morning. i couldn't trust just a thin layer of nylon. in fact i felt pretty vulnerable the whole time because i didn't realize how restricted my movement was in the sleeping bag... until i got spooked by that poking.

so in the morning i did a circle around my tent, but didn't find any animal prints of any kind at all. on the other hand it couldn't have been one of us, because my tent was in a corner of the lot, nobody would walk by it on his way to the bathroom. so i'm pretty sure it wasn't human, but not sure what animal it was either...
If it was a coyote, you were pretty safe. They are pretty cowardly alone and even in groups against something bigger than them. They are for the most part just predators of opportunity and scavengers for rest.

Around here, its still rather common for the occasional group of hunters to pull out the mini-14's or Ar's and perch up on a hill overlooking some farmland and have a few dogs or other hunters push them out into the open. Bang bang bang.

Around here you cant live off them anymore because coyote fur isnt as popular as it once was, but you can still get 15 bucks an ear for one.

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Is coyote good to eat?
Typically, no. There's a high chance for rabies in coyotes. Also, I've heard the meat is very greasy and not very good tasting.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
in my neighborhood the coyotes are plentiful enough and bold enough to be seen regularly in daylight. And I don't live in the sticks

as for eating them, well I guess it would all be in the preparation. I would start with finding a cuisine that has a history of cooking dog meat, and use its recipes as a start. heh, if things went *** over teakettle bad I for damn sure would be sniping them down for food - two fold reasoning, 1 - cheap protein, and 2 - less competition for rabbits/squirrels/etc.
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foughtwolf View Post
If it was a coyote, you were pretty safe. They are pretty cowardly alone and even in groups against something bigger than them. They are for the most part just predators of opportunity and scavengers for rest.

Around here, its still rather common for the occasional group of hunters to pull out the mini-14's or Ar's and perch up on a hill overlooking some farmland and have a few dogs or other hunters push them out into the open. Bang bang bang.

Around here you cant live off them anymore because coyote fur isnt as popular as it once was, but you can still get 15 bucks an ear for one.
oh no, i got no problems with coyotes when i'm up and awake. i've even jogged by a pair and they just got off the road to watch me go past. it's a completely different mindset though when you are in the middle of your sleep and something touched you only to realize you can't really move if you wanted to.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
I've porked many

Some states still pay bounties on coyotes.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
oh no, i got no problems with coyotes when i'm up and awake. i've even jogged by a pair and they just got off the road to watch me go past. it's a completely different mindset though when you are in the middle of your sleep and something touched you only to realize you can't really move if you wanted to.
Ahh, yeah I suppose that should have factored in.

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB lurker.

Haven't seen any coyotes deer hunting yet, but I'll shoot one if it's within range of a slug. They are small game here, so I had to buy the license
killjoywarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

In Montana coyotes, skunks, raccoons, bobcats are all pretty much shoot on sight. The main reason for this is they are big contributors to killing off bird species such as Pheasants and grouse. Coyotes also play a roll with deer and livestock.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

There have been a bunch of attacks on humans by coyotes in Atlantic Canada. There was a big uproar over the issue some time ago over in Nova Scotia with a few bad attacks. I will try and check later but I seem to recall something about a jogger actually being killed, but a quick google wasn't hitting any stories that sounded like the one I was thinking of. (Could be mixing stories, and the death may have been from a large dog attack or something. But still seeing lots on attacks against teens and such.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat