mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Have the 20% down payment ready to go if able. I didn't, and had to jump through some hoops. My parents did on their last house purchase and it took half as long.
I had 20% down, and the bank still had problems with how much land I wanted to buy. I ended up changing brokers because of them telling me that.

It really goes back to the its not what you know; its who you know.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post
I had 20% down, and the bank still had problems with how much land I wanted to buy. I ended up changing brokers because of them telling me that.

It really goes back to the its not what you know; its who you know.
My father purchased a house before all the mortgage disastor (we're talking like 1995 here). When my mother called and asked to start the paperwork the loan representative asked if my father did one of two things (was he a doctor or a lawyer) when she said no the loan rep told her they could not afford the house. The deal on this house was mother wanted it and was going to handle everything.

My father called the bank manager (this was back when managers still had some authority) who he knew and had dealt with regarding business in the past. He had the check within a few hours on a single signature.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
My father purchased a house before all the mortgage disastor (we're talking like 1995 here). When my mother called and asked to start the paperwork the loan representative asked if my father did one of two things (was he a doctor or a lawyer) when she said no the loan rep told her they could not afford the house. The deal on this house was mother wanted it and was going to handle everything.

My father called the bank manager (this was back when managers still had some authority) who he knew and had dealt with regarding business in the past. He had the check within a few hours on a single signature.
Way to get things done. lol
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Still not in the house yet....Previous owners have moved out and it's just sitting there empty. Yet the loan process (going on 4 months now) is still not over with.

**EDIT** I was told it would be another 2 weeks before We'd get the approval to close. I hope not as that would put us past the closing date in the contract which would mean another extension. If so i'm half tempted to just ask what I have to do to get out of the contract and walk away...

Last edited by Steve_81; 01-05-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

good luck. i am just starting the process myself. i found the house i want, contacted the realtor, fired the agent, got a new agent, put in an offer, got a counter offer, accepted the offer, paid a deposit, now i am waiting on the mortgage agent to get back to me this week. from what the realtor was saying, things should be coming together around the end of February. she has worked with the mortgage agent i went with before. the funny part is, he did my mom's mortgage and she told me to talk to him. the agent actually had an office in the real estate office. i thought that was amusing, lol. hopefully, that means they can work closer together to get me in the house in a timely fashion.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Buying is stressful, building is crazy. Building it yourself like I did is absolutely ludacris.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistani View Post
Buying is stressful, building is crazy. Building it yourself like I did is absolutely ludacris.
Wow. I'm having a hard enough time staying on top of things with our home being constructed. I couldn't image building it myself.

We're getting laminate flooring instead of hardwood, so we can pick which direction the "grain" goes. I sent the vendor a floor plan of the house with arrows drawn on it for grain direction.

Stopped by this weekend to see how things are progressing, you guessed it. Flooring is all in, but the grain is in the wrong direction. turns out the installer didn't even bother looking at the floor plan.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_81 View Post
Still not in the house yet....Previous owners have moved out and it's just sitting there empty. Yet the loan process (going on 4 months now) is still not over with.

**EDIT** I was told it would be another 2 weeks before We'd get the approval to close. I hope not as that would put us past the closing date in the contract which would mean another extension. If so i'm half tempted to just ask what I have to do to get out of the contract and walk away...
Not sure where you are but before you sign make sure that none of the pipes froze from the cold on your final walkthru.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yep...the government has made it so much easier for home owners to buy a house now.

And none of the stress has been removed...cause at any point until you sign...things could fall apart and not happen.

When buying my current home, I had to explain a $56 deposit made to my account....they wanted to know what it was and where it came from....I told them a small day at the pot farm...but they did not like that.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Buying a home in NY SUCKS!!!!! Too many lawyers are involved... too much BS (title insurance? Seriously? WTF?!?!?)

We purchased a home recently that was once part of a farm. It's made of two lots (of four) and the home was originally the house for the workers (dairy farm). The property also has the foundations and floors from two barns and the dairy "shed". When I had the septic inspected prior to closing I found out that the home still had the original Vitrified Clay stand pipes for a septic tank.... all of 100 gallons of storage, so we needed to fight with the owner to get a tank put in. Then we needed a Radon system installed. Then it was a month or so of everything else falling in to place.

Over all.... I'm glad I only have one more home sale to worry about ever again! We are putting our current house up for sale next month.... I'm not looking forward to that *** ache.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat