mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

Anyone else have to obtain a moving permit to move out and then a separate one to move in.

A permit to move?! I feel like I'm in the Robin William's live action Popeye movie.
"Well, first of all, there's 17 new-in-town tax, and there's 45 rowboat-under-the-wharf tax, and one dollar leaving-your-junk-lying-around-the-wharf tax, so all together, you owe the Commodore $1.87."
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

my biggest worry right now is going to be when i show the mortgage agent my last three bank statements.... i spent a lot on stupid stuff and fast food in the last few months because i didnt think i would be buying a house now, lol. i had only been looking for a few days when i started the ball rolling on this house. . . .
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Yep...the government has made it so much easier for home owners to buy a house now.

And none of the stress has been removed...cause at any point until you sign...things could fall apart and not happen.

When buying my current home, I had to explain a $56 deposit made to my account....they wanted to know what it was and where it came from....I told them a small day at the pot farm...but they did not like that.
Way to make me feel better lol. Oooh man if it fell apart last minute after I've been waiting 4 months I don't know what I would do. I would be so massively pissed off.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

Water test just came back for the well at the new house. Higher than acceptable levels of lead. the water is hard too.

the builder can put in a point of use filter and tap to satisfy the DEP or we can upgrade to a whole house system and roll in a water softener as well.

Going to be doing some research tonight. A nice little surprise 2 weeks before closing.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

High levels of lead? I'm assuming it's from the plumbing? Either way, I'd threaten to walk. Lead is NOT good!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Not from the plumbing, from the well itself.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Is there a Public water supply that you can hook into (not cheap but would be safer). A well with lead in it should be sealed and a new well drilled... hopefully the new well isn't contaminated. I'd call the local Health Department and see if anyone else locally has this problem with their wells.

I can ask my co-worker his thoughts on this as he runs the State Well Registration program here in NY (I do the Water Withdrawal Permitting program).

E
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

got a hold of the test results:

Lead levels are .25 mg/l, which is above DEP limit of .015.

Sample was taken at the tank, not the faucet. There was not mention of arsenic, radon, or pesticide testing on the test result; so we requested the builder test for those as well.

We got an email from the owner of the building company (family run business) asking to meet this evening.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

THat is WAAAAAAAY to high. They should 1. run the test again and 2. if the test comes back the same, they should do some remediation/full home system etc. Be prepared to walk my friend. Also as per our other conversation, call DEP with that number if you haven't already.

Also.. your mortgage company is going to FREAK out!!!! Along with the Town/City when you try to get a Certificate of Occupancy.

E
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #40 (permalink)

Update: Finally heard back from RD and my loan was approved. The closing date is scheduled for Jan. 25th. They are doing a mobile closing so it will be at the house. Which is just down the road from where I live lol. I'll walk down there, sign the papers and get the keys and it's all mine. Friday is my payday too. lol

Last edited by Steve_81; 01-19-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat