mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Anyone here play violin/fiddle? Looking for lesson books. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/219056-anyone-here-play-violin-fiddle-looking-lesson-books.html)

JLuke 11-20-2012 09:21 AM

Anyone here play violin/fiddle? Looking for lesson books.

Decided to try and pick up a musical instrument and going through a few choices, I opted to pick up the violin to give that a try first.

Picked up a used yamaha sv-100 on ebay, figured i'd do my upstairs neighbors a favor and pick the silent route. Picked up a couple of generic books to start with and have been researching a bit more online for other tips and lessons.

My question is, are there any good books/lessons that you could reccomend for me to look into? free or paid, doesn't matter. At worst, i believe there are a few violin tutors in the outlying areas here.

capt_cupcakes 11-20-2012 09:58 AM

Yea I played for 5 years... A friend of mine (Dr. Michael Alexander head if Baylor university music department) got with some people and wrote a few lesson books.. I'll see if I can't track them down in my house.. If I do I'll message you and I'll just donate them!! Glad to hear your picking it up!!

JLuke 11-20-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt_cupcakes (Post 2539130)
Yea I played for 5 years... A friend of mine (Dr. Michael Alexander head if Baylor university music department) got with some people and wrote a few lesson books.. I'll see if I can't track them down in my house.. If I do I'll message you and I'll just donate them!! Glad to hear your picking it up!!

Awesome thanks

This is why I love MCB :D

Jebus 11-20-2012 04:17 PM

If you get some titles I'll see what I can grab for you digitally.

JLuke 11-21-2012 11:16 AM

On a side note, is it just me, or are most "experienced" violin players just snobs against cheaper equiptment.

Seems like the few quick searches on forums and other places everyone puts anything that costs under 1k dollars down as filth that shouldnt be called a violin.

Fubarius 11-21-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2540103)
On a side note, is it just me, or are most "experienced" violin players just snobs against cheaper equiptment.

Seems like the few quick searches on forums and other places everyone puts anything that costs under 1k dollars down as filth that shouldnt be called a violin.

Gee, now what kind of "other" forums does that sound like? ;)

Arson24 11-21-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubarius (Post 2540108)
Gee, now what kind of "other" forums does that sound like? ;)

:ROTFL:

Love the sound of the violen, heard its pretty hard to learn
good luck

just went to a Lindsey Striling concert the other day
amazing violinist

capt_cupcakes 11-21-2012 11:06 PM

Key reason why I stopped... To me it was pratice 2-3 hours a day or... Play paintball and surf MCB... And here I am! Some of those guys and gals are outstanding players but all they know is their instrument and a small room with pages apon pages of music.. If they could eat sleep **** and play 24/7 they would...

LibertyRadeon 11-22-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt_cupcakes (Post 2540811)
Key reason why I stopped... To me it was pratice 2-3 hours a day or... Play paintball and surf MCB... And here I am! Some of those guys and gals are outstanding players but all they know is their instrument and a small room with pages apon pages of music.. If they could eat sleep **** and play 24/7 they would...

Lol, I manage to practice cello about 3+ hours a day and STILL manage to get my daily MCB and monthly paintball fix :rolleyes: