mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
What I really liked about this film was all the thowbacks to the original films. back to his original car. "M"s office at the end is the office from the old ones...

Reintroduction to Q, Brought in the new M and Moneypenny.

All good.

The lack of Gadgets was a bummer I agree.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fish Taco

Shucking blue points and drinking martinis as we speak, was going to see it in an hour and I became...inspired. Cheers to it NOT sucking
ih8cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8cornnuts View Post
Shucking blue points and drinking martinis as we speak, was going to see it in an hour and I became...inspired. Cheers to it NOT sucking
don't worry, judi dench makes the movie worthwhile regardless.

she was good even as brosnan's m.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
I thought it was great. The further Bond has gotten from gadgets, ****ty one-liners and campy villains, the happier I've been with it.
Same here, though in fairness Javier Bardem's take as Silva was extremely campy, though in a good way. Easily the best Bond villain since Sean Bean as 006*.
Also, as far as crazy, impossible gadgets, does it get much crazier than a Glock 18 loaded with DU 9mm?

*Bardem has been the only good Bond villain since Sean Bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
...and Adele simply repeated the word Skyfall over and over again instead of actually coming up with a fantastic song like For Your Eyes Only.
Ok, I have to take particular umbrage with this.
Setting aside whether you liked Adele's song (and if you didn't, you're a bad person), but if you're trying to show examples of good 007 themes, why "For Your Eyes Only" and not "You Only Live Twice," or "Diamonds are Forever" or "Live and Let Die"?

Or even Dusty Springfield - The Look of Love - YouTube
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
don't worry, judi dench makes the movie worthwhile regardless.

she was good even as brosnan's m.
Dench had a good scene in Goldeneye but I feel from a character standpoint her roll was over-expanded for no reason other than the fact that she's a big star. All M is supposed to do is tell 007 what country to fly to after the opening credits and then get out of the way. Now it seems like every bond movie has to have 5-10 minutes of her looking at a computer screen or talking into a cellphone and getting irritated.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Dench had a good scene in Goldeneye but I feel from a character standpoint her roll was over-expanded for no reason other than the fact that she's a big star. All M is supposed to do is tell 007 what country to fly to after the opening credits and then get out of the way. Now it seems like every bond movie has to have 5-10 minutes of her looking at a computer screen or talking into a cellphone and getting irritated.
i think it's fans' expectations of what every single entity in the lore of james bond is "supposed" to be that ruins the movie for the fans themselves. i went into the theater expecting a good film and nothing more, i walked out pleased.

can you imagine if people complained about dark knight because it wasn't zany like adam west? things change and espeicially now that bond has to become more serious to compete with jason borne. iron man threw the secret identity cliche out the window too. leave all the "supposed"'s at the door and you will enjoy yourselves.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Future Robocop

loved it
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Other than George losing his Iphone and missing the first 5 minutes of movie looking for it I thought it was awesome.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i think it's fans' expectations of what every single entity in the lore of james bond is "supposed" to be that ruins the movie for the fans themselves. i went into the theater expecting a good film and nothing more, i walked out pleased.

can you imagine if people complained about dark knight because it wasn't zany like adam west? things change and espeicially now that bond has to become more serious to compete with jason borne. iron man threw the secret identity cliche out the window too. leave all the "supposed"'s at the door and you will enjoy yourselves.
It's not just about expectations, it's about functionality.
Bond movies work because they're escapism in a very literal sense. They're about a man who leaves his home and boss behind and goes on dangerous adventures. The tone of the movies has changed greatly over the years, at various times campy, fantastic, and now gritty, but the purpose of the movies has always been the same, which is for the audience, usually men, to have an adventure vicariously through Bond. Some variance from what has become the "Bond formula" has been good, but too much of it, like making M some kind of deuteragonist instead of an exposition cipher, was starting to interfere with the core function of the films.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
It's not just about expectations, it's about functionality.
Bond movies work because they're escapism in a very literal sense. They're about a man who leaves his home and boss behind and goes on dangerous adventures. The tone of the movies has changed greatly over the years, at various times campy, fantastic, and now gritty, but the purpose of the movies has always been the same, which is for the audience, usually men, to have an adventure vicariously through Bond. Some variance from what has become the "Bond formula" has been good, but too much of it, like making M some kind of deuteragonist instead of an exposition cipher, was starting to interfere with the core function of the films.
you realize that in itself is already an expectation of what a bond film "should" be? m having a larger role isn't the problem, otherwise every other escapist film sharing the same supposed "function" in existence with a supporting character would have received bad reviews with this point as a direct problem as well.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat