mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   gun owners: leave a 1911 parkerized or get it cerakoted? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/220307-gun-owners-leave-1911-parkerized-get-cerakoted.html)

Scharfschutze91 12-04-2012 09:23 PM

gun owners: leave a 1911 parkerized or get it cerakoted?

As the title says. I am debating in the coming months to get a Rock Island 1911 compact for conceal carry. I will not get a kimber, nor a colt new agent. I can't afford either, so please don't bother debating it. The debate is between parkerized vs cerakoting.

Now, I wouldn't conceal carry every day, maybe once a week, sometimes twice a week depending on what parts of town i go out to at night on the weekends with friends. And that usually is 6 hours max.

Now, I do live in very humid and wet miami, florida. I wouldn't carry when it rains outside to avoid the further wetness.

Given all you know now. I do want the RIA 1911 Compact. But, not sure if I should spring the extra cash when I get it, to get it cerakoted over leaving it simply with the parkerizing.

Any thoughts?

noclue119 12-04-2012 09:27 PM

Why don't you use it until it starts to bother you and then get it cerakoted.

Scharfschutze91 12-04-2012 10:50 PM

i thought that too. And it is a possibility. But i figure if I can afford to do it from the get go, why not?

gainman 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

why would you want a kimber anyway?

gainman 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

also, have you ever carried a 1911 before? especially in florida with shorts and a light shirt where you are not allowed to show?

Bored383 12-04-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue119 (Post 2552950)
Why don't you use it until it starts to bother you and then get it cerakoted.

^this^

heh, I have a russian makarov with an absolutely ruined finish on it . . . because after some years of use I realized it wasn't worth getting it redone with anything

:ROTFL:

cerakote would be more durable than parkerization, fwiw

Scharfschutze91 12-04-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainman (Post 2553036)
also, have you ever carried a 1911 before? especially in florida with shorts and a light shirt where you are not allowed to show?

I completely understand. I just never wear shorts when I go out, even in the summer. And I don't really go out until night time, because i am working in a law office all day during the day. So it is much cooler at night. And I have a few buddies who ccw a full sized 1911 all year. it doesn't bother them much. And nothing else catches my eye to carry and I am familiar with the 1911 style autos and prefer to stay with that.

And I am fairly skinny, athletic build, 6 foot tall, 190LBs.

Phoenix01 12-04-2012 11:57 PM

If you can spring for it then by all means have at it.

I have a few friends that are Lawyers, two of them have their ccw and one is working on it. Funny isn't it? :D

sniperfan 12-05-2012 01:35 AM

Carry guns- real carry guns- get beat to death. if they aren't dehorned by your gunsmith, the steeringwheel of your car and every door jam in your life will get around to it.

I've parkerized about a hundred guns. My experience is that parkerizing is soft- you're dealing with millions of little peaks of metal around the craters the beadblasting left. Those peaks get worn off quickly.

The gunsmithing shop I used to work for eventually went to "kotes" for pretty much every carry gun they built.

XXFETTXX 12-05-2012 01:44 AM

I just got the new XD Slim.

It's small and very light.

XD