-   General Chat (
-   -   A question for you carnivores... Now with a review! (page 2) (

pghp8ntballer 12-08-2012 02:34 PM

A question for you carnivores... Now with a review! (page 2)
So my wife, having gone to culinary school, has a taste for dang near anything. She has a quest to try emu. Unfortunately here in Pittsburgh, there are no emu farms within a fair distance and shipping from online orders is ridiculous. So, a short drive downtown to the Strip District (which is basically a market district) and I came home with some goodies. Anyone ever try kangaroo or ostrich? What about python? Yes, I bought python, kangaroo, and ostrich. But I am having an incredibly difficult time finding how to cook the python. I'm not necessarily concerned with a recipe, but how it needs to be cooked, temperature wise. Show me your diversity MCB! Who can answer my question?

What is the correct/safe way to cook and eat python (fillet, not ground meat)? Is it beef like, still mooing to charred? Or is it like chicken, cook to x temp or you die?

Bored383 12-08-2012 02:46 PM

cook to X temp or risk some health issues.

pghp8ntballer 12-08-2012 03:00 PM

You wouldn't happen to know what that temperature is, would you? And have you tried python before?

dukie 12-08-2012 03:16 PM

emu is pretty tasty. texture vey much like beef. I think the taste was similar but definately couldnt be mistaken for beef. ostrich is good too.

no idea on the python question.

Critical 12-08-2012 03:39 PM

How to Cook a Snake: 8 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

Maybe? I've no idea. Closest thing I've had was eel, and we just wrapped it in foil and threw it in the fire for a while.

pghp8ntballer 12-08-2012 03:40 PM

From what little I read online, python tastes anywhere from "like chicken" to similar to scallops. But it always ends up chewy and rubbery. Gator tastes like chicken though. Expect a review detailing our experience with this. If I remember to write it.

pghp8ntballer 12-08-2012 03:41 PM

Ya, people have said that it doesn't cook the same as a small snake, including rattler. Maybe because of the size and the nature of it, being a constrictor and such.

ta2maki 12-08-2012 06:37 PM

Why doesn't your wife, having gone to culinary school, not know about these things?

SEFishy 12-08-2012 06:51 PM

snake needs to be cooked quickly to avoid getting the texture your describing. A stew or stirfry is a great quick way to do so. The longer a lean meat is cooked the tougher it will get.

Its pretty common to find snake here in el paso but its mostly rattler. Find some ppl from south florida if you want proper answers

pghp8ntballer 12-08-2012 07:44 PM

I guess python is not a culinary delicacy. Where are the Florida MCBers? All I know is, as we feast on our python, that one Waterboy scene will be running my head...

Coach Klein: That snake looks delicious. What part do you think I'm about to eat?
Mama: Uh, basically a snake don't have parts... But, uh, if I had to call it anything, I would say it's his knee.