mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

"Bug-Out" Bags

So I have seen things about having some items "prepped" for if S-hits the fan, and i have always thought about getting more prepaired for my faimly. Well recently we had a power outage in my area that affected around 3000 people and our house was literally pitch black. This made me realize i need to be more prepaired for something like this - to even more severe - That and i have been watching alot of Walking Dead
Just thought id start a thread to see everyones thoughts and what YOU may have in your Bug-out-Bag - Keep in mind this is something like a backpack that you can grab and run with - Also your weapon(s) that can be taken with you in a rush

So far i have gotten mine more prepaired -I have my Rifle - Rugger M77 .30-06 & Spare .30-06 shells (25) - First aid equip (i work at a hospital so i have a good grab bag - Stuff like assorted gauze/dressings/ointments/cleaning swabs/sterile water for wounds/ect.) All the stuff like emergency blankets/poncho's/waterproof casing with all weather matches/lighter/sent free body wash & soaps/Assorted knives & a hatchet/Fishing line & hooks/

Going to be adding more soon.....Post up!
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
PPS Fan
There are plenty of threads on big out bags already

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

we actually had a giant black out here earlier this year that left the whole coast pitch black overnight. iirc it went from los angeles down to parts of mexico, and east into arizona. power was not restored until late next day.

the one major piece of equipment that i totally overlooked was a radio. internet didn't work, phones didn't work, tv didn't work, but for some reason, radio broadcast did. the total blackout meant nobody can call the news stations or even email them, so tv news can't even update themselves on what's going on. i don't think google had an idea of what was going on until much later. radio ended up being the only form of communication i had for the night, had i not had a spare mp3 player with a built-in radio, i would have to start the car to hear it, as that was my only other radio. so they announced that some big cheese of the county would have a public update somewhere at sometime and that we should all tune in at that time so that we can all get updated.

so they announced that we should be prepared for a few days of this because they couldn't have an estimate for the grid being fixed. everyone with a grill in the backyard just started taking out all the meat from the fridge for dinner that night and pretty much you can smell barbeque everywhere you go. better to eat them than to let them spoil since the fridges don't work. there are people buying ice from grocery stores.

we didn't need any weapons. if your townfolks are good, nobody would risk being singled out as the bad guy. in fact the local radio station had a thing going where they try to get word out after investigating which stores hiked prices (like ice) to take advantage of the situation, and mocked those stores on air, telling people to avoid buying from them.

other than that, get a ton of flash lights and just have them lying about at home. pitch black is always darker than you remember.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Why would you 'bug out' during a blackout? Seems like you should be ready to bug in. Instead of just preparing for an I need to leave scenario, maybe also be prepared so you can stay home for a week or two without outside resources.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

Well obviously you wouldnt leave in a Blackout - I just ment that the Blackout made me realize i need to be more prepared overall. Yes you would Stay-in for as long as you possibly could and use what you have at your home. I ment in the case of needing to flee your home and/or just an overall "ready-pack" with med. supplies and general survival gear
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
but for some reason, radio broadcast did.
I believe most radio stations have generators. We just went through an 11 day Sandy blackout here in NJ and I did notice all the radio stations were fine. They were a good source of info.

IF you still have regular old telephone service try to keep an old corded phone in the house. The phone line provides its own voltage to make it work. Ours was still up, but we couldn't use it until I borrowed an old phone from work. portable units will not work if the base does not have power.

Grilling meat the first night is overkill (although you may have been in warmer temps than we were.) Fridges will stay cold a while as long as you limit opening the door. We waited a couple of days before cooking everything. Noone got sick.

A battery, or even crank powered radio would be good to have. I will even go so far as to throw in a "get your ham license and an HT radio (commonly called handy talkies or walkie talkies) Usually ham repeaters have emergency power and can help keep you in touch with people, and possibly emergency services. It's an EASY test (no more morse code requirement) and costs like $15 for a license for LIFE.

Candles: Keep lots of them. I'm also looking into kerosene lamps. In a pinch they can burn some other fuels. When a battery dies you need a recharge or a new one.

To get more back on topic the whole Sandy situation has me thinking about BOB's and the like. I saw no reason to leave my home, but I was not flooded and didn't suffer any damage to the house. However, i know some that did and I can't say they mentioned any need to ho hunting, fishing or shoot anyone to survive. Unless we have a Red Dawn scenario, I think the only reason to bring your weapons is so looters don't end up stealing them. I DID keep a couple of billy clubs/axe handles handy around the house during the blackout though.

Last edited by Finnigan; 12-12-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I have all my camping gear packed. I figure I have plenty there for a week without having to take anything off the land and enough to being to be reasonably self sufficient. The dead of winter would be an issue but other than that we are good to go.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Many, many places have emergency generators. Any time you see a shed sized building on a property and there is a muffler sticking out on side or the roof, that's a generator.

For outages, I have a hand crank flashlight that I use. I should get a hand crank radio too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Propane generator.FTW

We live in woods and have power loss ever winter.

Propane doesn't go bad.The carb doesn't gum up.

lots of info here without the whackjobs

SurvivalBlog.com
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
I believe most radio stations have generators. We just went through an 11 day Sandy blackout here in NJ and I did notice all the radio stations were fine. They were a good source of info.

IF you still have regular old telephone service try to keep an old corded phone in the house. The phone line provides its own voltage to make it work. Ours was still up, but we couldn't use it until I borrowed an old phone from work. portable units will not work if the base does not have power.

Grilling meat the first night is overkill (although you may have been in warmer temps than we were.) Fridges will stay cold a while as long as you limit opening the door. We waited a couple of days before cooking everything. Noone got sick.

A battery, or even crank powered radio would be good to have. I will even go so far as to throw in a "get your ham license and an HT radio (commonly called handy talkies or walkie talkies) Usually ham repeaters have emergency power and can help keep you in touch with people, and possibly emergency services. It's an EASY test (no more morse code requirement) and costs like $15 for a license for LIFE.
i have since bought a crystal radio elementary school project kit. no batteries required, energy comes straight from the radio waves.

it's not like we could microwave some food. we could still use gas stoves but we would be using the same food anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
However, i know some that did and I can't say they mentioned any need to ho hunting
anytime is a good time for some ho huntin!
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat