mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Shi Tamagutsu Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
Hey guys, (mods sorry if I can't ask this question) PLEASE keep politics out of this. I just want straight facts. I can't seem to find statistics on the following: anyone know the number of gun related crimes committed by illegally owned guns (I.e fellons obtaining guns, kid steals parents' guns, things of that nature) vs crimes committed by legally owned guns (I.e the person whom the gun is registered under commits the crime).
I've also been looking for stats (and failing).
Nobody can even list a number as to how many firearms there actually are in this Country.

My opinion:
Legal gun owners are the least likely to commit a crime with a gun.
There are at least 100 million legal gun owners in this Country, most of whom own more than one.
Let's say 1% of 1% have one firearm stolen from them during each calender year. That's 10,000 illegal firearms each year.
Perhaps one of 1,000 stolen guns are used in a killing spree.
That would be ten per year on the order of Sandy Hook.

So if you take the total, cut it into a hundred pieces, take one of those pieces and cut it into a hundred pieces, then take one of THOSE pieces and cut it into 1,000 pieces...That's about the ratio of crimes committed with legal firearms to those committed with stolen/illegally purchased firearms.

Just my version, & the numbers used do not represent any actual accounting.
My POINT is that gun control is a matter of education, not restriction.
Legal gun owners, educated in the ways of firearms, are not the ones committing crimes. It's the uneducated who steal guns and then use them who are to blame.
In the particular case currently in the National Media it's the same issue.
Some uneducated criminal steals guns from a semi-responsible gun owner.
(a truly responsible gun owner would never allow them to be stolen)

But this one uneducated thief commits an atrocity with a stolen weapon that's about as common as a baseball bat.
Now it's a National Problem, and the other 99,999,999 legal gun owners must face restrictions, limitations, & persecution even though not one of them ever once committed a crime with a gun.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant...
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Wait - I have a bayonet fixed on my pistol - is that illegal?

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I looked as well, and couldn't find anything. I was looking at the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports and nothing in there seemed to break down the illegally versus legally owned statistics. In one article that I read regarding the Brady Bill statistics, the majority of legally owned gun incidents are domestic violence crimes and legal self defense killings.

Here's one reference...

FBI — Uniform Crime Reports

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Wait - I have a bayonet fixed on my pistol - is that illegal?

TF
Only if you're in a state with an assault weapons ban--and even then, I think the bayonet rule applies to rifles only

Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

There are around 77 million Americans who have bought guns. Now lets compare that to the number of shootings, which is around 12000. That means that number of shootings to number of gun owners is around .01%.

Hi Yanks,
I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are gua ranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 View Post
Only if you're in a state with an assault weapons ban--and even then, I think the bayonet rule applies to rifles only
That reminds me of something I read awhile ago about how something like a field artillery howitzer is technically "not a firearm" in a few states, and technically legal to own. I wonder if one of the states with a ban on bayonets on rifles is one of those states where a howitzer is legal...

I totally want a howitzer with a suitably sized bayonet on it now. (And the giant robot needed to wield the thing.)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-Swipe View Post
There are around 77 million Americans who have bought guns. Now lets compare that to the number of shootings, which is around 12000. That means that number of shootings to number of gun owners is around .01%.

Hi Yanks,
I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are gua ranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself.

That's nuts! anyone try to take my 1911 will have to take it in a blaze of .45 acp ammo and over my dead body!

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)

Here is the link to the department of justice, I think you'll have to drill in and find what your looking for but they have a report on stolen guns on the front page.

Moses688_Feedback
Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

here is what i can assume as of now:

There are over 77,000,000 legal gun owners in the USA... In 2011 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,664 murders in the US. Of those, 8,583 were caused by firearms. so out of 77,000,000 there were barely 9,000 killed by guns... most of which were all illegal...

.001 % of potentially legal gun owners committed murders with guns... but it is safe to assume more than half were not legal... but for the sake of argument let us say 50% were legal and 50% illegal...

that's still .0005% of legal gun owners committing crimes. and that is a VERY VERY VERY rough estimate.

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

Here's a stat that I heard the other day and confirmed here, if you trust Wikipedia that is. Living in the United States you are almost twice as likely to kill yourself with a gun than you are to be killed by someone else. I'll let everyone decide for themselves what that means. I just find it interesting.

In paintball, what if self eliminations vs opponent eliminations occurred at the same ratio?
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Feedback 2012 Sale WTB Thread

Last edited by HOEPER; 12-19-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat