mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Gun crime statistic question (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/221520-gun-crime-statistic-question.html)

Scharfschutze91 12-19-2012 03:39 PM

Gun crime statistic question

Hey guys, (mods sorry if I can't ask this question) PLEASE keep politics out of this. I just want straight facts. I can't seem to find statistics on the following: anyone know the number of gun related crimes committed by illegally owned guns (I.e fellons obtaining guns, kid steals parents' guns, things of that nature) vs crimes committed by legally owned guns (I.e the person whom the gun is registered under commits the crime).

heinous 12-19-2012 03:48 PM

the closest thing i can find http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

i don't think you'll ever find a complete enough set of data to do it accurately. stolen guns probably get sold across countries by gunrunners so you will have to get data for crimes in multiple nations, plus you have to keep in mind how many of them are committed by career criminals vs just someone committing a crime in the heat of a moment.

technically speaking every stolen gun is already used in a crime since it is straight up theft, so now you have to put the severity of the crime into account too.

PistolRogue 12-19-2012 03:50 PM

I'm sort of in the same boat, I've been trying to fact-check some of the FB posts on both sides of the gun debate but it seems like the only statistics I can ever find are sponsored by one side or the other and present completely different pictures.

HyperU2 12-19-2012 03:52 PM

I've always heard it was less than 1% but it's tough to find numbers, much like Googling 9/11 and not finding conspiracy stuff.

One thing is certain, mass killings make up about 0.25% of homicides per year and rifles are used in approximately 0.5% of homicides. Any reactionary call for banning them after this is just that.

paintballwannab 12-19-2012 03:57 PM

Subscribing, have nothing to offer but am curious as to actual numbers.

maggot 12-19-2012 03:58 PM

That's like asking what % of Americans smoke pot. Since it is an illegal activity there is no way to know what % of crimes are committed with stolen guns.

doc Zox 12-19-2012 04:05 PM

If its a stat it is here

gunfacts

CRIME AND GUNS
Basic to the debates on gun control is the fact that most violent crime is committed by repeat offenders. Dealing with recidivism is key to solving violence.
• 71% of gunshot victims had previous arrest records.
• 64% had been convicted of a crime.
• Each had an average of 11 prior arrests.117,118
• 63% of victims have criminal histories and 73% of the time they know their assailant (twice as often as victims without criminal histories).119
Most gun violence is between criminals. This should be the public policy focus

PistolRogue 12-19-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc Zox (Post 2567455)
If its a stat it is here

gunfacts

CRIME AND GUNS
Basic to the debates on gun control is the fact that most violent crime is committed by repeat offenders. Dealing with recidivism is key to solving violence.
• 71% of gunshot victims had previous arrest records.
• 64% had been convicted of a crime.
• Each had an average of 11 prior arrests.117,118
• 63% of victims have criminal histories and 73% of the time they know their assailant (twice as often as victims without criminal histories).119
Most gun violence is between criminals. This should be the public policy focus

The problem I have with this is that it's clear from minute one which side they support. I'd prefer to be able to cite facts and statistics from a more neutral party. Not refuting accuracy or anything but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Scharfschutze91 12-19-2012 04:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys, keep em coming. I am doing all I can via my iPhone but can't do much. When I get home tonight I will look at all of these. Thank you for it all and thank you for future posts :D

freedom 12-19-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 (Post 2567425)
anyone know the number of gun related crimes committed by illegally owned guns.

I don't want to muddy this up anymore but if I put a bayonet lug on my "compliant" rifle, it is then "illegal" and I would be arrested.

Also, I have always been curious as to the number of "gun related incidents" that involve law enforcement.
Living in NJ, we have strict gun laws, so strict that if your grandfather brought back from WWii an M1-carbine and it wound up in your house, you could be arrested (and probably would be).
This happened to a local law enforcement officer a few years back. The "media" story over this event curiously disappeared and I am unsure what eventually happened.

This could be considered an "illegal" gun and just possessing it is "the" crime.