mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   automatic transmision issues (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/222529-automatic-transmision-issues.html)

rcjunky 01-03-2013 02:00 AM

automatic transmision issues

So driving home tonight (well, midnight) the tranny let go in my car (2003 chysler neon with 63000km on it, about 40k miles) It was leaking alot of fluid (tranny fluid), so hopefully it was just a tranny cool line or something, but with it being ran empty, will that of damaged the tranny if its still ok? Its definitly worth putting a new tranny in it if thats what it comes down to, but I'd rather not, but no sense in fixing it if it is a line issue just to have the tranny go for a poop shortly there after. No check engine light is on if that changes anything

p8ntninja 01-03-2013 02:04 AM

What is your commute like? Any amount of time of straight metal on metal without proper lubricants can AND will cause damage. I highly recommend getting your transmission flushed (not drained) as soon as you can. It is somewhat costly but it is preventive care.

Phoenix01 01-03-2013 02:27 AM

There are several factors to take into consideration here. How long did you drive after the incident occurred? When you have some day light, pull the dipstick to see if there is any fluid left on it as well as smell it. If it smells burnt, which I can almost guarantee it will, then more than likely the shift bands in the transmission are done for. I've gone through a few transmissions on my drag/auto-x car to know it doesn't take much for you to toast your transmission.

Your best bet is to talk with a reputable transmission shop and see what they have to say. You might have to tow the car over there as the car may not be able to drive over there in it's current condition, plus you would not want to cause any further damage to it. Don't go out and buy fluid for it until after you have spoke to a shop about it. No sense in wasting money since it will be between $1,000 to $2,000 to repair.

rcjunky 01-03-2013 02:28 AM

its usully 40km each way, all highway. I got it towed home tonight, it won't drive any were, while getitng it towed there was a puddle under the car, which leaves me to belive a line or seal let do, it dumped all its fluid until it didn't drive any more. Looking back at things I should of parked it instead of trying to get home, but thats life I guess. Without really looking at it, I think it drianed all its fluid out, that being said, with it being driven (most of it needed fairly high rpm's to drive smoothly) will the tranny be ok? I don't understand auto tranny voodoo so I'm not sure if no fluid will cook it, or just not go any were.

MIballer 01-03-2013 05:13 AM

its most likely toasted Auto trannies especially chrysler ones do not like running out of fluid
good news is neons are really common so best bet may just be to put a used one in.

PistolRogue 01-03-2013 05:24 AM

Trans cooler lines LOVED to blow up on those things. Sadly, if you ran it until it stopped, there's zero hope of salvaging that trans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p8ntninja (Post 2580343)
What is your commute like? Any amount of time of straight metal on metal without proper lubricants can AND will cause damage. I highly recommend getting your transmission flushed (not drained) as soon as you can. It is somewhat costly but it is preventive care.

It's not even a matter of just lubrication... in an auto, the fluid is a coolant and hydraulic fluid as well as a lubricant. If the bands/steels didn't go first (lack of hydraulic pressure to fully actuate the proper bands, allowing them to slip and burn), the torque converter and/or pump wouldn't be very far behind. From what the OP is describing, that sucker is toast. Sorry man.

Darkapollo 01-03-2013 08:04 AM

Toasted.
Neons are throw away cars. I see them all the time in junk yards (use to be a dodge guy till i realized how deep of a money pit they are)
Get a used tranny from a junk yard and you are good to go.

rcjunky 01-03-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks guy, sounds like she's toast. Looks like I'll probably try throwing some fluid in it to try getting to the garage close by and going from there. My dad called the garage and they said its possible that filling it with fluid (well fixing the leak first) may solve it, but I doubt it, when driving it started smelling hot and the temp gauge was fine so I'm fairly sure it toast. I'll definitly be looking for a used tranny to throw in, its in great shape and definitly worth doing

Phoenix01 01-03-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcjunky (Post 2580565)
when driving it started smelling hot and the temp gauge was fine so I'm fairly sure it toast. I'll definitly be looking for a used tranny to throw in, its in great shape and definitly worth doing

The temp gauge in your car is the engine coolant temp, not the transmission coolant temp. You may not even have a "dummy" light that is triggered when something in the transmission goes wrong. Typically with most cars this might be tied to the Engine light but more often than not there is no warning system for the transmission.

rcjunky 01-03-2013 01:38 PM

ye, I guess what I was meaning to say something smelled hot and it wasn't the motor. I just poured 3 quarts of tranny fluid into it, then it wouldn't start, stupid -20*C temperature, should of started it before pouring all the fluid I have in it. Of course the block heater (that I haven't used yet) has no plug on the other end, so i have a car with most likely a fried tranny ( it was already leaking fluid agaiin, lets just say it wasn't red...) and it will start then shut off after a couple seconds :( aparently I'll be getting it towed to the garage and see what they say get someone to fit it, and put a plug on the block heater, something tells me that won't all get done today...