mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
I believe Brady (Rednecksniper) works at a machine shop at a shipyard....

Might wanna drop him a line
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Unless things have changed since I had the recruiters after me, there is NO guarantee on what job you will have. The recruiter will say almost anything to get you to sign the papers, but after that, you belong to the Navy (or whatever branch you join). I took my tests on a Saturday, and when I went to get the results on Monday, the dude had a bus ticket in hand ready to send me on my way. I have had less pressure from used car salesmen.

Feedback
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Just to add, if you are really set on a particular rating (i.e. Machinery Repairman), and you're qualified (determined via ASVAB), the recruiter may tell you there are no openings and he may not be lying to you. It may be that there are no openings for the school at that time. In which case, he may tell you such or, he may try to get you to join and then 'strike' for that rating once you're in.

Striking is a process in which you are essentially a generic, very junior sailor (E-1 to E-3), and you are going through the processes to become "Rated" (Machinery Repairman aka MR is a "Rating"), while at your first command. This process usually entails, at the minimum passing a multiple choice knowledge test; at the maximum, attendance of a formal navy "A" School (a course several weeks to several months long). Often, it's completing various job qualifications, getting the approval of your Commanding Officer, and taking the test. I can't tell you if MR requries an "A" School but, I suspect it does.

Ratings that require a school can be a little tougher to get into. That's because (I'm oversimplifying a bit) your command essentially pays for you (your barracks, your food, your wages) and they need to pay for you whenever you temporarily leave the command (i.e. to attend training). The net result being is that you often don't get to go to the school until it's time for you to transfer from that command, while en route to your next command. This is because your originating command doesn't have to pay for you but, rather the Detailer does. The "Detailer" in this case is the individual responsible for the assignments of all the MRs in the Navy (and all rates in the Navy have their own Detailers).

Entering service with a plan on "Striking" is a gamble. If your first assignment is one of those locations that have a machinist shop, then that's a good start. If you end up elsewhere (i.e. smaller ships or aircraft squadrons) that may not work out very well at all.

Another option the recruiter may offer is for you to get into one rating school, only to subsequently transfer to another rating. The process is similar to "Striking" and has the same hangups but, adds consideration of how well your current rate is manned vs how well your desired rate is manned. For example, if you get in as a "Machinist Mate (MM)" who specializes in large machinery [engines, etc] operations, and ask to transfer to MR, it may be that the MM community is undermanned, while the MR community is overmanned and therefore, you cannot transfer to that rating.

And it is entirely possible for one to get an "A" School assignment as part of your enlistment- it will be prominently called out in your contract so, don't sign unless what you want is in the contract. However, just because you got the "A" School assignment, if you flunk out of the school, you're at the mercy of the Navy's needs.

If you enter the Navy without any such guaranty, you are entering as "undesignated". While in bootcamp, you will have the opportunity to decide between a handful of undesignated communities and attending their respective 'apprenticeship' school. These include: Seamen, Airmen, Firemen, and Constructionmen. Generally speaking, Seamen learn how to handle boats and ships (tying them to the pier, sanding, painting, etc), Airmen learn to handle aircraft (guiding them around the runway, maintaining/operating the landing gear on the ship, cleaning the aircraft), constructionmen learn to become SeaBees (construction of buildings and other structures), and firemen learn to do basic Hull maintenance, damage control for the ship, etc. undesignated 'apprentice's (i.e. Seamen), are expected to start the Striking process when they get to their first command.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

This is why I love MCB. Already I've got a bunch of helpful information.

Sounds like it's a gamble either way. I'm apprehensive, but the reward is certainly there. I've got a lot to think on, it seems.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Never hurts to go talk to the recruiter and see what they have to. Before you sign anything make sure what you want is in writing on the document you are signing. Starting a discussion with "but my recruiter told me...." will only get you laughed at. If you cannot get the job you want then go somewhere else or wait until you can get it. No sense doing something if you are not going to be happy with it.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Never strike!!!!! You will spend your first year and a half to 2 years as a deck hand. This is not fun.
You can get a guaranteed A school but you have to stick to what you want and not what they are getting pushed to fill. You just tell them well I am not going to join if I can do this and walk out. They will stop you before you get to the door.

MR A school is in Great Mistakes IL in a building called Snipe's Castle. If you do get the A school in your contract, you will likely go to Great Lakes for your Basic Training. I would try and do a delayed entry so as not to go there during the winter. Winter at Great Lakes IL will be very miserable for a Texas boy.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
...If you do get the A school in your contract, you will likely go to Great Lakes for your Basic Training. I would try and do a delayed entry so as not to go there during the winter. Winter at Great Lakes IL will be very miserable for a Texas boy.
I can tell you've been out for a while :P NTCs San Diego and Orlando closed down ages ago. It's all at Great Lakes now.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
I've porked many

Striking will guaranty you much paint chipping, and other assorted gumby work. You want to have a school in writing.

On having a recruiter promising a job, they cannot promise squat. You actually get your job in writing once you go to MEPS after the physical. When I joined back in the early nineties, I ended up going to MEPS twice. the first time they tried to push me into a rating which I had no interest in. I stood my ground, the recruiter was pissed, but he got over it. I was a 24 year old recruit at that point, and I wasn't going to allow myself to get cajoled into becoming a PR Parachute Rigger. Make sure you talk to all the services including the Coast Guard.

What You Should Ask the Recruiter | Military.com

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
I've porked many

I went to Great Mistakes for GM-a school in 1994 over the winter. I learned all about shoveling snow. Cold is not the word.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Hello, folks.

I am a machinist by trade with 3 certifications (Machinist I, CNC I, CNC II) and 2 years work experience (plus classroom time). I also have an interest in military service, and would like to do something with my life while I am young. I have long been thinking about combining these two interests, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the subject.

Basically, what would I have to do to be employed as a machinist in the Navy? I have no problem enlisting, but is there a way to ensure I get the gig as a machinist? Meet and exceed educational requirements, perhaps.

Ideally, I'd like to work on a ship, say a carrier, and travel around the world while machining. I know that is naively romantic, and serving in the military isn't about niceties, but it would be nice. That said, I would have no problem working in a shop.

I appreciate any insight.
The rating that you are looking for is Machinist Mate [MM]. Then what exactly you do with that rating and jobs your routinely do would depend on your background, aptitude and what "C" schools you get.

Machinist Mate Wiki

While I was not an MM in the Navy I worked very closely with "A Gangers" and Nuke MMs as I was an Nuke Reactor Operator [ET] on submarines. Not all Machinist Mates are machinists. Machinist Mates might be one of the broadest ratings in the Navy. If there is a machine in the Navy there is a Machinist Mate who operates, maintains, repairs and fabricates it [or for it]. From personal experience MMs on submarines tend to be more jack of all trades but many times do not get to be as specialized as some in other parts of the Navy.

As to the MR rating, while it is closer to what you do currently most MRs do not do a lot of travelling [though they my have some on Carriers I'm really not sure as I never served on surface ships]. MRs are most commonly found in shipyards, repair yards, tenders and shore support facilities. So being an MR would limit your opportunities to "be haze grey and underway"

Machinery Repairman

Quote:
MRs are skilled machine tool operators. They make replacement parts for a ship’s engine auxiliary equipment, such as evaporators, air compressors and pumps. The repair of deck equipment, including winches and hoists, condensers and heat exchange devices are completed by Machinist Mates. Machinery Repairmen assist "MM's" by repairing or producing parts in the machine shop. Shipboard MRs do not frequently operate main propulsion machinery, primarily performing machine shop duties.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB

Last edited by Grendel; 01-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat