mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Recruiter's are no more evil and conniving than anyone else. They have a job to do and quota's to fill. Educate yourself and go in knowing what you are looking for and ask for what you want. Then read all the fine print, but in general Recruiters can only "promise" a field [base NEC/MOS] or program after that it is the needs of the military and your tests/performance that determine the specifics.

Perfect example when I went in I went into the Nuclear Power Program with the desire to be an MM [Machinist Mate] and the Navy ended up training me to be an ET [Electronics Technician]. Pretty much worked in the Electronics Field my whole career.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #32 (permalink)

If you're going Navy, don't forget you can do the same thing in the Air Wing. Our Aircraft Machinest is the highest paid guy on site. As a bonus, an Aviation Machinest can just about find a job anywhere post Navy. You would have to enlist as an AM to get your aircraft knowledge but, would not have a hard time getting a C school for machining.
cwest1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #33 (permalink)

Talk to the Air Force recruiter and see if you can get Aircraft Metals Technology, I think they can guarantee your job. I've been doing it for almost 12 years now if you have any questions. We don't travel around as much as some jobs in the Navy but I have been to Korea, Japan, Kuwait, Australia, Canada, England, Italy, and the motherland. It's not the best job in the Air Force, but I think its the best job in maintenance. Also look at USAjobs.gov, a few months ago the Navy was looking for a civilian machinist to work in Okinawa.

Jason
RFLMN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #34 (permalink)
Maybe....... Just maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFLMN1 View Post
Talk to the Air Force recruiter and see if you can get Aircraft Metals Technology, I think they can guarantee your job. I've been doing it for almost 12 years now if you have any questions. We don't travel around as much as some jobs in the Navy but I have been to Korea, Japan, Kuwait, Australia, Canada, England, Italy, and the motherland. It's not the best job in the Air Force, but I think its the best job in maintenance. Also look at USAjobs.gov, a few months ago the Navy was looking for a civilian machinist to work in Okinawa.

Jason
Most of those have a requirement of current (reserve) or prior service, while holding a E-5 or higher. I was looking at jobs for the Army Corps of Engineering, mainly a Engineering Tech. Or require you to be on Title 10 orders.

Like said talk to a recuiter, if he/she is feeding you a line of BS ask to talk to someone else. It can be a sales pitch, the first Army recuiter tried to sell me on it, then I just asked to talk to a recuiter that just did prior service ( I was a jarhead before entering the Army). If your that dead set on being a machinst the other option you have is Reserve. Yeah your not touring the world as much, or live military life day in a day out. But with reserve service you are given a slot with in that unit, and that position is held for you while you are at your job school (at least that is how the Army works). If you don't like the military life being reserve then its only one weekend a month, or if you don't like reserve and want active duty its easier to go from reserve to active duty and to transfer you into a active duty unit on active status.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat