mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Military Machinists (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/222634-military-machinists.html)

Magoo 01-04-2013 01:58 PM

Military Machinists

Hello, folks.

I am a machinist by trade with 3 certifications (Machinist I, CNC I, CNC II) and 2 years work experience (plus classroom time). I also have an interest in military service, and would like to do something with my life while I am young. I have long been thinking about combining these two interests, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the subject.

Basically, what would I have to do to be employed as a machinist in the Navy? I have no problem enlisting, but is there a way to ensure I get the gig as a machinist? Meet and exceed educational requirements, perhaps.

Ideally, I'd like to work on a ship, say a carrier, and travel around the world while machining. I know that is naively romantic, and serving in the military isn't about niceties, but it would be nice. That said, I would have no problem working in a shop.

I appreciate any insight.

pillage 01-04-2013 02:01 PM

Talk to a recruiter. That is the first step.

MR_Rick 01-04-2013 02:18 PM

PM'd you

Magoo 01-04-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pillage (Post 2581802)
Talk to a recruiter. That is the first step.

See, I am hesitant to do so, as I've heard some horror stories about recruiters promising the world and the enlisted getting burned in the end. I wanted to get some input from anyone who may, fortune willing, have experience dealing with the like.

Deuce 01-04-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magoo (Post 2581833)
See, I am hesitant to do so, as I've heard some horror stories about recruiters promising the world and the enlisted getting burned in the end. I wanted to get some input from anyone who may, fortune willing, have experience dealing with the like.

The key is to basically not listen to their BS, have your mind set on what you want, and do not fall for their salesmen tactics. If you want a job, do settle for anything else. They'll tell you something isn't available just to get you to do another job, it's a lie. If you make them work for you, you can get the job you want (so long as you have the right line scores).

PM me if you'd like and I can help you some with how to deal with them.

Magoo 01-04-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 2581838)
The key is to basically not listen to their BS, have your mind set on what you want, and do not fall for their salesmen tactics. If you want a job, do settle for anything else. They'll tell you something isn't available just to get you to do another job, it's a lie. If you make them work for you, you can get the job you want (so long as you have the right line scores).

Deuce, I may just drop you a line when I get off work. I appreciate your help!

pillage 01-04-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 2581838)

This also talk to all the various recruiters. Sometimes they are even in the same building. First you will have to take the asvab test if you have not already taken it.

The Flounder 01-04-2013 02:32 PM

This is the job you want if you are set on the Navy. Machinary Repairman (MR)

Magoo 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flounder (Post 2581849)
This is the job you want if you are set on the Navy. Machinary Repairman (MR)

Oh, hey. I like the sound of that. I'd be the guy keeping the ship running and use my experience as a machinist. I will definitely be doing some research on that.

Deuce 01-04-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magoo (Post 2581842)
Deuce, I may just drop you a line when I get off work. I appreciate your help!

No problem, I'll help where I can.