mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I would rather chew on Magic Johnson's used condom so I can get aids and die than ever get Comcast again. It is an abortion of internet service.
Yikes, you sound pretty adamant. So far, I've had good luck. I certainly couldn't find a better deal.

ArmyEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Can't have your cake & eat it too all the time.

Google:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...w=1296&bih=692

There you go

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEngineer View Post
Yikes, you sound pretty adamant. So far, I've had good luck. I certainly couldn't find a better deal.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2414897555.png
I agree these superficial results look good on the outside. I have comcast now because I have no choice. It is literally the only option I have in this apartment complex.

And yet I still am forced to watch youtube videos on lowest resolutions, games lag like crazy, netflix is hit or miss, etc. And yes I am technology genius, I have tried everything. Comcast customer service is non existent. Quick google search shows alot of people feel the same way.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Are you basing your new home on cable availability? If you have already picked out your home, then you'll need to check who the cable provider is. Go to any cable website and punch in your address to find out.

People can recommend whatever they want, but if it's not available where you are going to live, it's not much help.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Might look into AT&T Uverse. We don't use them for TV but for internet service it's been good for me. With a dedicated vdsl line you might be able to get away with a slightly slower connection as you don't have bandwidth battles in prime time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I would rather chew on Magic Johnson's used condom so I can get aids and die than ever get Comcast again. It is an abortion of internet service.
haha maybe in that area, AT&T takes that title out here in my neighborhood. Good lord, it was garbage when I had it. Internet would go out for hours at a time nearly every day, phone service was garbage. Idk.

How do companies like select what areas they're going to not give a sh** about?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Where we are in Los Angeles I think we are stuck with Time Warner or ATT. We went with Time Warner which I don't think is particularly great for cable but I don't have complaints on internet speed. I think our choices were this or ATT Uverse. I dont think Comcast was available to us.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

I had ATT and they blew goats. Moved to Comcast quite a few years ago and they have been great. I work from home and run a lot of gear at my house, including a few servers and VOIP phones, without issue.

On the flip side, I have a Time Warner approved/Comcast unapproved modem I can let you have cheap :-) /obvious plug
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Benji, where in the LA area are you? There are lots of options in the LA area, but they also have a lot of shens with them too. First and formost all consumer grade ISPs blow goats and are there to screw you. Back in the day, I had AT&T no frills DSL in my area. In my contract I specifically made them agree to a minunum of 3 mbits and had that for years. It would drop (as expected with any consumer provider since there is NO SLA) and they would bring it back up, but at the slower speed. I would have to call and bitch and have them throw me up to their manager, and have them pull my contract. They would then notice the MININUM 3 mbits and magically I would get that again, eventhough the level 1 support squig swore (more like read from their script) that I cannot get 3mbits in my area. Fast forward a few years and my wife decides to consolidate a few bills and cut our home television and ISP cost. Well she decided to dump my existing DirectTV and AT&T deal for a new one that combines the billing for DirectTV and AT&T ISP. It did reduce our bill, because instead of DirecTV HD we got DirecTV standard (with a lovely new DVR that is NOT Tivo) and standard AT&T DSL. I asked her did she read the fine print? She said no, they promised me that I could get 3mbits. I read the contract and it states UP TO 3mbits. (Translation you will NEVER get there!) It was horrible and we were locked into a 2 year contract with this. Grated the service did not drop as often, but we were locked with the speed they gave us. I built a proxy for the home to deal with the speed differental for the time being. That pissed off my wife so much that we dumped DirecTV (I am not happy with this choice either, since I boycotted cable for the last 10 years for shens they did to me) and moved to Charter since they are the only provider other than AT&T in my area. I live in the Pasadena, San Gaberial area. Personally I hate the DVR that we got from Charter, it blows goats as well. The User Interface was by some colorblind chimp, and it is exteremely slow to respond to commands, but I we get our shows. As far as ISP, it is claimed that we will get up to 30mbits. When we first got it, and if I do a speed test from the Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 modem provided, I can get 30 mbits on a speed test, but that is with NOTHING else on the line. When I out my network onto it and what not, I realistically get about 10mbits sustained and that is without a proxy server. I had to do a lot of configuration changes to my router, servers, and security models for my network, especially to keep the damn port knockers off of my network. However, all said and done it is a far cry from the 3 mbits we had before and it keeps my wife happy and I am able to do my work as well. Since moving to Charter, we have had to call them once because of an ISP drop. It was a HORRIBLE experience with their support, but it came back up. Since then, I reboot the modem and monitor my network traffic before calling Charter's help-less desk.

Bottomline: All consumer grade ISP are horrible. Be sure to read and RE-READ the fine print on the contract before you sign ANYTHING!
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Future Robocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
Benji, where in the LA area are you? There are lots of options in the LA area, but they also have a lot of shens with them too. First and formost all consumer grade ISPs blow goats and are there to screw you. Back in the day, I had AT&T no frills DSL in my area. In my contract I specifically made them agree to a minunum of 3 mbits and had that for years. It would drop (as expected with any consumer provider since there is NO SLA) and they would bring it back up, but at the slower speed. I would have to call and bitch and have them throw me up to their manager, and have them pull my contract. They would then notice the MININUM 3 mbits and magically I would get that again, eventhough the level 1 support squig swore (more like read from their script) that I cannot get 3mbits in my area. Fast forward a few years and my wife decides to consolidate a few bills and cut our home television and ISP cost. Well she decided to dump my existing DirectTV and AT&T deal for a new one that combines the billing for DirectTV and AT&T ISP. It did reduce our bill, because instead of DirecTV HD we got DirecTV standard (with a lovely new DVR that is NOT Tivo) and standard AT&T DSL. I asked her did she read the fine print? She said no, they promised me that I could get 3mbits. I read the contract and it states UP TO 3mbits. (Translation you will NEVER get there!) It was horrible and we were locked into a 2 year contract with this. Grated the service did not drop as often, but we were locked with the speed they gave us. I built a proxy for the home to deal with the speed differental for the time being. That pissed off my wife so much that we dumped DirecTV (I am not happy with this choice either, since I boycotted cable for the last 10 years for shens they did to me) and moved to Charter since they are the only provider other than AT&T in my area. I live in the Pasadena, San Gaberial area. Personally I hate the DVR that we got from Charter, it blows goats as well. The User Interface was by some colorblind chimp, and it is exteremely slow to respond to commands, but I we get our shows. As far as ISP, it is claimed that we will get up to 30mbits. When we first got it, and if I do a speed test from the Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 modem provided, I can get 30 mbits on a speed test, but that is with NOTHING else on the line. When I out my network onto it and what not, I realistically get about 10mbits sustained and that is without a proxy server. I had to do a lot of configuration changes to my router, servers, and security models for my network, especially to keep the damn port knockers off of my network. However, all said and done it is a far cry from the 3 mbits we had before and it keeps my wife happy and I am able to do my work as well. Since moving to Charter, we have had to call them once because of an ISP drop. It was a HORRIBLE experience with their support, but it came back up. Since then, I reboot the modem and monitor my network traffic before calling Charter's help-less desk.

Bottomline: All consumer grade ISP are horrible. Be sure to read and RE-READ the fine print on the contract before you sign ANYTHING!

But then what DO I go for? I don't know how to build my own proxies or whatever you were talking about.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat