mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Choosing a cable/internet provider. Could use some help (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/222645-choosing-cable-internet-provider-could-use-some-help.html)

bigbthebenji 01-04-2013 03:53 PM

Choosing a cable/internet provider. Could use some help

My wife and I are moving into a new place and need to decide on internet/cable providers. I'd want the internet to have minimum 20mbps speeds and the cable I just need the basic package (maybe + basketball channel and AMC if those aren't included in basic).

We are trying to keep the total cost under $60 for both. Any providers you guys prefer? Deals you know about? Providers to stay away from?

Thanks!

Zoo 01-04-2013 03:55 PM

Not sure about cable in the LA area, but what about ditching cable and just using an antenna and internet? That's what my family is getting ready to do. Saves a ton of cash.

bigbthebenji 01-04-2013 04:20 PM

We enjoy our cable and would rather have it. There are a lot of programs that aren't available via antenna/online that we look forward to. If I dropped anything, it'd be my gym membership (already considering it) because we'll be living 5 minutes from one of the best hiking spots in LA, and I have weights at home (and its the same cost as cable)

Harbinger[TG] 01-04-2013 09:17 PM

What are the options?

p8ntninja 01-04-2013 09:44 PM

Have you considered satellite? DirecTV is priced pretty damn reasonably and if you know anyone that has it both of you can save $10 on your bill just by plugging his account # in when you sign up.

bigbthebenji 01-04-2013 10:17 PM

Yeah, satellite is possible, though I would rather cable I think. We had direcTV and signal dropped so often. I was pretty annoyed at it, but that was a couple of years ago, so maybe something has changed.

I am in Los Angeles so anything available I will consider. I really want a good service that doesn't drop signal. Having Cox last year was HORRIBLE.

Patar 01-04-2013 10:46 PM

My family has some bad experiences with DirectTV. Long story short, behind on a payment or two and they went through my pops' bank and directly took money out of his account without notice.

Watch the fine print I guess. That said, they do offer really quality packages.

really though, comcast is super trustworthy for me. We've been with them for a really long time. Their TV service ain't bad and the on-demand service is awesome if you want it. Their internet is unparalleled (maybe by verizon FiOS), and that comes from an avid online gamer. Couldn't tell you about price though, that's out of my jurisdiction in this household :D

ArmyEngineer 01-04-2013 10:49 PM

I'm on Comcast right now. 30mbps download speed. Expanded digital cable (no HD) plus 24 months HBO for free. 39.99 per month. No contract. It's available on the comcast website right now as the Blast Plus bundle. Good luck!

gainman 01-05-2013 12:07 AM

I would rather chew on Magic Johnson's used condom so I can get aids and die than ever get Comcast again. It is an abortion of internet service.

p8ntninja 01-05-2013 12:13 AM

For what it's worth out here we have DirecTV strictly for 'cable' and use CenturyLink for internet, not by choice BUT there high speed internet is blazing fast, not sure if your get them out your way. If not, you may want to consider a separate provider for internet.