mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Anyone here from Alberta? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/222797-anyone-here-alberta.html)

Jordan 01-06-2013 12:06 PM

Anyone here from Alberta?

I'm looking to make a move to Grimshaw, AB in the next year... Possible job opportunity.

Anyone have anything negative or positive about the province? I'm coming from Southern Ontario, and know next to nothing about Alberta, except for the lack of HST and low income tax.

mtaylor 01-06-2013 01:49 PM

You shouldn't go to Alberta. The tax is a lie, and nobody at all lives here. The only worse province is onterrible.

Oh, wait.

Grimshaw is quite a ways from most of the province, but I know there is paintball in Grand Prairie.

RAZRBAKK 01-06-2013 01:53 PM

I have no info for you about Alberta, but jeez! You're from Smithville? My uncle lives there. I actually grew up in Grimsby.

Jebus 01-06-2013 02:09 PM

Yes....but you are from Ontario and there is a Government imposed embargo on anything Ontario....including people...sorry!

Never heard of it before...but here is a wiki link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimshaw,_Alberta

Jordan 01-06-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK (Post 2583975)
I have no info for you about Alberta, but jeez! You're from Smithville? My uncle lives there. I actually grew up in Grimsby.

Yup... went to school in Grimsby too.

The job would entail me working in Fort Mac most of the time, but the company is apparently based in Grimshaw. Don't know all the details, it's a deal that my brother-in-law is putting together and wants me to join him.

freedummy 01-06-2013 04:18 PM

Hey, I'm from the Grande Prairie/Sexsmith area (living in Calgary now). I had some family and friends who lived in Grimshaw and Berwyn, so I really don't know that much about the area personally but it's not that far from home for me.

I know Grande Prairie and area has a few paintball fields, I've been to Splatter within the last few months. For a small field, it was pretty decent. I think they had 5 staging areas - 2 speedball, 2 towns, and 1 woods. Not huge by any means, but decent.

I'm not sure what weather is like surrounded by the great lakes but over the Christmas holidays I was home for, Grande Prairie was consistently -30c to -35c, with 2-3 feet of snow. It's warmed up a bit now, but be prepared for the cold snaps if you're not used to that. Otherwise, I enjoy living in Alberta. Fuel is relatively cheap, lots of open space, winters are cold, summers are hot, water is wet... We're all Canadians, so people are generally friendly depending on what industry you're working in. If it's oil related the people can be rougher, the money attracts all kinds from all over... But it's nothing too bad. I spent several years in the bottom rung of the oilfield, it's tolerable but wasn't for me (I'm an artist).

I'd say if you've got a good opportunity and nothing holding you back, don't be shy.

Jordan 01-06-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedummy (Post 2584115)
Hey, I'm from the Grande Prairie/Sexsmith area (living in Calgary now). I had some family and friends who lived in Grimshaw and Berwyn, so I really don't know that much about the area personally but it's not that far from home for me.

I know Grande Prairie and area has a few paintball fields, I've been to Splatter within the last few months. For a small field, it was pretty decent. I think they had 5 staging areas - 2 speedball, 2 towns, and 1 woods. Not huge by any means, but decent.

I'm not sure what weather is like surrounded by the great lakes but over the Christmas holidays I was home for, Grande Prairie was consistently -30c to -35c, with 2-3 feet of snow. It's warmed up a bit now, but be prepared for the cold snaps if you're not used to that. Otherwise, I enjoy living in Alberta. Fuel is relatively cheap, lots of open space, winters are cold, summers are hot, water is wet... We're all Canadians, so people are generally friendly depending on what industry you're working in. If it's oil related the people can be rougher, the money attracts all kinds from all over... But it's nothing too bad. I spent several years in the bottom rung of the oilfield, it's tolerable but wasn't for me (I'm an artist).

I'd say if you've got a good opportunity and nothing holding you back, don't be shy.

I used to live up near North Bay for a while... so I'm used to very cold weather. The first month I was up there we had a cold snap of -50*C during the day for about 3 days. :huh:

Talked to my BIL a little more tonight and the job's for LaPrairie Crane. I'd be getting my crane operator apprenticeship, which is cool since I've been thinking about switching trades. Still not sure how it's going to happen, but it looks pretty good so far. :)

Jebus 01-06-2013 08:53 PM

I wanted to operate a crane - you'll be getting a pretty penny for it in the Mac!!

ta2maki 01-06-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 2583851)
Anyone have anything negative or positive about the province?

It's in Canada

Jebus 01-06-2013 09:34 PM

We have free health care...don't even have to pay for your coverage here anymore. 5% Tax, Gas is 95 cents a Litre, you'll probably be making minimum $25/hr plus some living expenses probably depending on what site you are on.

Don't buy anything in Fort Mac though - way over priced since everyone makes a really good wage up there...