mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf2Live View Post

Let's argue with one of the engineers that worked on the development program in conjunction with Michelin

indeed... a 3000lb sedan traveling at a velocity of 70 mph has the exact same inertia whether it has 150 HP or 15,000 HP. The kinetic energy of the forward motion of the car will generate the same amount of heat in the same braking system.

Titan, so you can visualize how the size of the hub in no way affects the Tweel's fitment with respect to the brakes on a vehicle I want you to get a couple of pieces of cardboard and cut out a 5" circle and a 20" circle (be sure to add the correct bolt pattern for your vehicle. Take one wheel off of whatever type of vehicle you drive and install the cardboard circles one at a time. I will bet you all of the money in the world that the cardboard circles do not interfere with the brakes. This is what I meant when I said the spokes radiate outward from the hub in the same plane as the hub. The hub is also not concave like a standard wheel, it is just a solid disk. As long as the ID of the treadband hoop is not smaller than the brake disk/caliper combo there will be no interference. It is impossible. Dumbledore and Gandolf's magic combined could not make it happen.

The heat cycling of the spoke material resultant from the tires heating and cooling during operation/non-operation of the vehicle respectively causes the elastic properties of the material to change over time leading to unpredictable performance of the Tweel and ultimate failure.
That would be true if cars were only designed for their average driving speed. If you have two cars that weigh exactly the same traveling at the same speed, you would of course need the same size breaks. However, if one car has a max speed of 100mph and the other is a sports car with a max speed of 200mph, obviously the faster car would need larger/more powerful breaks. Since a car traveling twice as fast has 4x the energy.

Even if the faster never goes faster, the automakers are going to design breaks that can withstand the car's output or it would be unsafe.
Vital_Signs is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat