mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
Anyone have knowledge on a jeep compass

So my wife was good this past year and we (she) decided she wants to get rid of our mini van and get a small suv. Right now we are leaning towards the jeep compass. I have done a lot of googling etc and like what I have read for the most part, but I am wondering if anyone here owns one or has had any experience with one that could give me some personal insight on them.
cirkle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
it's a dodge caliber - I would counsel avoidance
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Avoid the '07-'10 models, the 'bug-eye' version. The '11-'13 models got an significant overhaul, including engine tuning and a retuned CVT. The '14 models coming soon will ditch the terrible CVT for a 5-speed automatic, and will get a significant MPG boost because of it.

Despite being based on the old Dodge Caliber, the Compass, and the mechanically-identical Patriot, are actually very nice little crossovers-IF you only look at '11-present versions. The pre-Fiat, DBAG-built ones are junk-terrible interior, rough engines, sloppy CVT, just a train wreck.

If you can drive a manual, get the manual version. MUCH better on gas, and much more responsive as well. The CVT sucks noodles.

Don't touch anything with the 2.0L I4, only get the 2.4L.

The Patriot is the exact same vehicle underneath-the only difference is that the Compass comes with some higher-class options, but the Patriot has more usable cargo space (And, IMO, looks way better).

They're way better than you think off-road, especially the Trail Rated versions with a simulated low-range 4WD.

All in, they're very practical little vehicles. Try and buy used, because their resale values are terrible.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

If you want a small SUV, do yourself a favor and get a CRV. MUCH higher quality than anything Jeep has to offer.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
If you want a small SUV, do yourself a favor and get a CRV. MUCH higher quality than anything Jeep has to offer.
This. Dodge is horrible (I have owned 2...and currently am driving one now...it was free, what can I say). There is a reason why they are at the bottom of the US makers. We just traded in our 04 BMW X3 for an 07 Honda Pilot. My inlaws have an 05/06 CRV(bought new) with 115K miles. Those things just go and go and go. 300K miles with just regular maintenance is fairly common for them. The BMW on the other hand was the best handling SUV I have ever driven and got decent gas mileage (25 highway) but maintenance costs can be extreme...and that is why I traded it in.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have to agree with the statement about Dodge. I was a service writer for a sears auto for 3 years and the last 2 where only selling mechanical work. I see alot of newer models from Chrysler with alot of front end issues. Seemed 1/3 of Chrysler 300 had tie rods falling out before 30000 miles, and same with caliber patriot and liberty. I could go on and on but basically stay away from Chrysler for now.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Syko89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I had a Liberty - it sucked monkey things...a friend bought a Compass at the same time, his had a few problems to the point he brought it back, to get into something else early.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
I have to agree with the statement about Dodge. I was a service writer for a sears auto for 3 years and the last 2 where only selling mechanical work. I see alot of newer models from Chrysler with alot of front end issues. Seemed 1/3 of Chrysler 300 had tie rods falling out before 30000 miles, and same with caliber patriot and liberty. I could go on and on but basically stay away from Chrysler for now.
Funny you say that. The car I am driving now, has had the inner tie rod bushing replaced twice (3 sets total if you include the original ones) and it only has 114K on it. And it wasn't some vague steering wheel response, the bushings were flat out gone. The sleeve was the only thing left. The sway bar end links were broken at 110K as well (while not unexpected in some cars, some other cars can go well over 150K before you notice it).
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

My wife had a compass, son in law a patriot.
Both a POS.
Don't get one.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat