mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

no he's thinking of the Holden UTE from down under they where thinking of bringing over here but didn't
tony montana 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
the chevy ssr?
How does that even remotely resemble an el camino? Plus it's not a concept, it's a production car. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana 2 View Post
no he's thinking of the Holden UTE from down under they where thinking of bringing over here but didn't
I don't think it was the Ute either. The one I'm referring to was a Holden concept (iirc) built off the Monaro chassis. This was back when they brought the Monaro over as the new GTO. I'll have to see if I can dig up an image.

ETA: It was the Vauxhall/Holden Maloo

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
wes

I had a 74 El Camino Classic, looked similar to the one in the pic.
Drove it daily for 8 or 9 years. Coolest vehicle I have owned.
It had a 400CI small block, a lot of fun to drive.
Attached Images

wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I had a 74 El Camino Classic, looked similar to the one in the pic.
Drove it daily for 8 or 9 years. Coolest vehicle I have owned.
It had a 400CI small block, a lot of fun to drive.
Why'd you stop driving it?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamoussmiley View Post
Why'd you stop driving it?

Smiley
Probably because as a daily driver, it looks awesome, and can pass anything on the road... except a gas station. Those old carb-fed v8s are notorious for getting low teen/high single-digit gas mileages, even on the highway. And that's really where it's going to hit you at - not its useability as a truck or a car, but how well its fuel economy and maintenance costs (they stopped making these in the '80's didn't they? so the newest you're looking at is 30 years old) fit into your budget for a daily driver.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Probably because as a daily driver, it looks awesome, and can pass anything on the road... except a gas station. Those old carb-fed v8s are notorious for getting low teen/high single-digit gas mileages, even on the highway. And that's really where it's going to hit you at - not its useability as a truck or a car, but how well its fuel economy and maintenance costs (they stopped making these in the '80's didn't they? so the newest you're looking at is 30 years old) fit into your budget for a daily driver.
BINGO!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...V12_Pickup.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

You should watch "The Mexican" movie with Brad Pitt. It has some classic El Caminos in it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
My first car was an elcamino. 67 with a 327 built by a master mechanic. I have so many great memories of it another elcamino is the car I will restore with my son. Mine was a daily driver in high school and college. Easy to fix, rarely needed it. Crummy mileage though.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi

Personally, I would prefer a Camino with this body style - see linky - 1970 Chevy El Camino SS. The 81 Chevy El Camino that I am looking at currently is a v6 stick 3 speed with 80K original miles on it for $2,600. The EC sat in a a garage for 20 years (original owner) because the floor rotted out. The new floor panels have been install correctly. It is ready for sticker.

The car dealer said that the pedal configuration on the car is rare - Stick/manual transmission. He said if it didn't sell, he was thinking of converting it to a V8 "muncie". Not sure what a V8 munci is. Google search is not giving me a clear answer. How hard is it, and how expensive is it to put a v8 "muncie" in an 81 El Camino?

Also, is it possible to change the front end and front fender style to a different head light configuration? Could older model fenders be installed on the 81 El Camino?

How much on top of the cost of the car do you think I am going to need to spend. Time is not so much an issue if I can get the car running in the next 2 years.

What do you think?

smiley
infamoussmiley is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat