mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Smiley, converting front ends like that might require you to weld in a new front core support to get all the mounts you need. Definitely not a slap together job.

as far as a "muncie" I'm pretty sure that refers to a 4 speed autotragic transmission of some sort.

If it was me, I'd go with a v8 and a 5spd manual. I always feel like something is missing with only 3 or 4 gears. Especially on the highway/interstate. pretty much everything into the 80's should just drop right in. I could be wrong though, I always did oldschool fords and imports after that so I'm not claiming to preach gospel here.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
Smiley, converting front ends like that might require you to weld in a new front core support to get all the mounts you need. Definitely not a slap together job.
Can you explain a little more what you mean above?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamoussmiley View Post
Can you explain a little more what you mean above?

Smiley
these 2 pics aren't from the same car, but they convey the general idea. On most vehicles, to do a front end swap, you have to do this to make sure you have all the proper mounts for attaching the headlights, grill, et c.

first you would cut out the old front core support like this

then weld in the appropriate core support which would look kind of like this

again, this isn't required for EVERY car but a lot of them for sure. Best way to find the info you need from personal experience, go to google and type in the make and model of the car you have and then type "owners forum" always gives good results.

edit: forgot to cover the whole fender swap bit. on older cars like this, you might have issues with creases in the metal not matching up with original body lines so on and so forth. google image the car you want with "______ front end swap" pretty much if you can think of it, someone has tried it.

Last edited by Melvin; 01-25-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Muncie is actually a 4-speed manual tranny that's used in sporty Chevy hotrods raging from Vette's and Camaro's. Great tranny--can't go wrong.
belbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belbert View Post
Muncie is actually a 4-speed manual tranny that's used in sporty Chevy hotrods raging from Vette's and Camaro's. Great tranny--can't go wrong.
thank you for clearing that up!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
Don't think it would require that much modification to jam a v8 in an 81. They came from the factory with v8s and most companys tend to not require different parts to fit different engines (from a frame standpoint). A v8 should drop in with little to no modification, its a chevy, chevy loves to make things simple for hot rodders.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

you have other problem. they are gas hugs too.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

small block v8 like a 305 or 350 should drop right in. I would try to source a good condition 5 speed transmission to help out somewhat with fuel economy.

One thing to remember too, a v8 doesnt automatically translate to poor gas mileage, good mpg is achieved by how efficiently any motor can move the mass of the vehicle it's bolted into. Even a honda can get poor mileage if it's weighed down with bondo and chrome rims.

If it's a concern, you can definitely shave a good bit of weight off with "race" doors and hood, dump the bench seat in favor of buckets, a manual transmission always weighs less than an auto, after market headers that aren't made from cast iron, lighter weight wheels, aluminum driveshaft...all sorts of things can be done to get somewhat decent mpg out of a big ol' sled like an el camino.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Muncie is a transmission manufacturer from back in the day, and the most famous Muncie is a transmission known as the Muncie Rock Crusher. Basically, the gears in your transmission (and differential) are cut on a slant so there's not a lot of sound when the gear teeth mesh and release. The steeper the slant, the quieter the gear noises, but also the more fragile the teeth are. Muncie put a much shallower angle into its M22 4-speed transmission gear teeth, making a nigh bulletproof tranny, but one that sounds like it's crushing rocks while you drive along (hence "Muncie Rock Crusher").

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

by swapping out the tranny to a 4 or 5 speed, does that improve gas efficiency?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat