mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Born again

Send a message via AIM to mustangii

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Nearly all the engine components interchange between the 4.0 and 4.2.

For example, its a fairly common mod to take the head and EFI off the 4.0 and put it on the 4.2, or take the crank and pistons out of the 4.2 and put it in the 4.0.

Obviously its mostly just semantics, but the modern 4.0 was basically the same internally as the original Nash engine designed 50 years ago.

Nothing really to argue about. Its a great engine, as far as strength and simplicity. I love inline 6 engines, since they are extremely easy to work on, and can be pushed to very low RPMs without vibrations, etc.

But the reality is the size of a strainght-six is too hard to fit into modern cars, and the long-stroke design produces too much emissions.
Yes, almost everything will interchange, except for the crap Renault ignition and injection system, besides that would be a down grade.

edm

ASE certifed master tech
Master Certified Chrysler Tech
mustangii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Nearly all the engine components interchange between the 4.0 and 4.2.

For example, its a fairly common mod to take the head and EFI off the 4.0 and put it on the 4.2, or take the crank and pistons out of the 4.2 and put it in the 4.0.

Obviously its mostly just semantics, but the modern 4.0 was basically the same internally as the original Nash engine designed 50 years ago.
The heads will bolt up, but the oil/coolant passages don't necessarily line up completely.

AMC designed the motor to take advantage of existing molds/assembly line, but it's still a new design that shares it's lineage with the original 3.8 inline from 40-50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangii View Post
Yes, almost everything will interchange, except for the crap Renault ignition and injection system, besides that would be a down grade.
Anything is an improvement over a Carter BBD carb.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat