mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
For my truck I opted for two 10'' Kicker subs, Alpine head unit and a off brand but very nice amp and some 6 1/2" Pioneer door speakers. Sounds really nice and didn't break the bank either. I personally prefer Alpine head units over Pioneer ( I have run both) but you honestly can't go wrong with either brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Do you like a "bright" tweeter, or a "mellow" tweeter? All things considered nearly equal with the lower end; tweeters are what will fatigue you fater than any other speaker. If possible stay away from mylar tweeters the material isn't strong, and breaks up quickly. Metal dome tweeters are more revealing; but can be harsh to many ears. Silk dome tweeters are much more mellow than metal domes.

Look for speakers with high sensitivity. They will help you get the most out of the power offered by the radio you choose. If you find a nice set of 6x9's that would only afford you to buy that one set; than forget about the rear speakers and go for the nicer 6x9's. I promise you will not miss not having the rears.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
The front needs replaced in a BAD way. The rear doors still sound okay and have some decent kick. What pair of 6x9's would you suggest? ~$100 for both speakers would be wonderful.
TippmannFireman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm dead honest, screw the rears. It is absolutely unnecessary. If you get the front speakers running as loud as you like, the rears will add nothing (without any type of sound processing).

Another important thing, check the depth you are working with. If they are in the doors, more than likely the window or window track may hinder the depth of the speaker you can mount. I honestly wouldn't consider any speaker before knowing the depth. 6x9's can get pretty deep. This isn't a problem in most cases, as most are mounted in rear decks of cars.

Find out the depth, and I'd be more than happy to help you find a good set.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

I also second Pioneer and Alpine decks. Clarion has made some nice decks in the past; but have lately went the way of the a/v craze. Kenwood has really stepped up in the past years, and, believe it or not, Sony has been getting back to making serious decks.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
As far as 6x9's or 6 1/2's, whatever your vehicle calls for you can not go wrong with Pioneer. Their door speakers sound amazing and the price point is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
I'm dead honest, screw the rears. It is absolutely unnecessary. If you get the front speakers running as loud as you like, the rears will add nothing (without any type of sound processing).

Another important thing, check the depth you are working with. If they are in the doors, more than likely the window or window track may hinder the depth of the speaker you can mount. I honestly wouldn't consider any speaker before knowing the depth. 6x9's can get pretty deep. This isn't a problem in most cases, as most are mounted in rear decks of cars.

Find out the depth, and I'd be more than happy to help you find a good set.
I've heard shallow mounts are the only ones that work, but per THIS video (skip to 7:50) any normal depth will work. You seem to know more about speakers than I, so I leave this to you lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

I am a long time fan of Pioneer Premiere speakers. Rock a set of tweets and crossovers up front now. The 6 3/4's finally gave up the ghost (surround came unglued). Repalced them with a set of $9 (yes, $9) AURA 6 3/4's and would never look back. Sadly, I can't find the 4ohm versions anymore. Parts Express still has the 8ohm speakers in stock. For anyone running active crossovers looking for new mids, the 8ohm's should be a solid contender for consideration.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Like these?

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A6963R 6-Inch X 9-Inch, 270-Watt 3-Way Speakers: Electronics

I know I'm aggravating, but I'm ignorant to this stuff. I know nothing about ohm's, and all the wattage and stuff. All I know is when these subs were in the fella's truck they sounded great, and I need some new speakers up front. :P

EDIT: I also know nothing about 2-way, 3-way, 5-way, etc. The previous ones were 3-way, but I saw these. They any better? Only $20 more, and if they sound better it's well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A69...er+premier+6x9
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

There was a comment from a guy that said that his Infinity speakers would fit withou hitting witha top depth of 3+ inches. We'll work with 3" in mind. If the speakers you get ultimately do get in the way by a small amount, you can make your own spacers for dirt cheap using HDPE cutting boards from WalMart or Target if you have a Rotozip or jigsaw to cut the ovals out. Easy peasy and solid as a rock.

Something to keep in mind, finding a set of speakers that reach into the sub 80-60hz range won't be necessary, as that is where your subwoofer will be doing all of the work.

I made a nice speaker box for my brother's ram using 4 Fosgate P1's 10's. Loud as hell and cheap to boot. You don't need expensive, high wattage subs when you have four doing the job. It got very uncomfortable for me to listen to long before the speakers got taxed.

I'll do some digging around for those by-nines.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat