mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Subs, Amp, Head Unit help (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/224867-subs-amp-head-unit-help.html)

TippmannFireman 01-30-2013 12:23 AM

Subs, Amp, Head Unit help
 
So, I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I needed, so I bring this to you.

Before I start, I want to stress that I DO NOT want this to turn into a Sony bashing thread. I was GIVEN these things for 100% free, and I want to install them. If I decide to go with something else down the road, I can, but for now this is what I'm dealing with.

SO! With that out of the way, I was given one of these:

(The actual one I have)

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...Keeper/114.jpg

A link.

Amazon.com: Sony XM-1652Z - Amplifier - Xplod - 2-channel - 380 Watts x 2: Car Electronics

And two of these:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...Keeper/113.jpg

A link.

Amazon.com: Sony XS GTX100LW - Xplod car subwoofer driver - 300 Watt - 10" - graphite: Car Electronics

And I need a new head unit to power all this stuff. I was looking at this, seeing as it's on sale, and I've always heard great things about JVC. Would this do it?

JVC CD Apple iPodReady InDash Deck with Detachable Faceplate KDR540 - Best Buy

I'm also about to put these in the truck, as I think the current ones are busted.

Front:

Amazon.com: Boss P69.4C Phantom 6 x 9 Inches 4-Way Speaker: Car Electronics

Rear:

Amazon.com: Boss P55.4C Phantom 5.25" 4-Way Speakers (Pair): Electronics

So, with all new speakers, a new head unit, an amp, and a couple subs, I'll be pretty much set. What do you guys think about what I'm planning on doing? Again, this isn't a Sony bashing thread. I'm well aware of there being MUCH better amps and subs out there, but these were free. I'm just mainly concerned about the quality of the Boss speakers, and if the JVC head unit will do everything I need it to. All I want is some heavy bass. This won't be a show truck that needs to jump off the ground at every bass hit.

Commence opinions!

uv_halo 01-30-2013 10:54 AM

It's been a couple years since I had my last custom auto sound system. It was based on an early ipod compatible JVC head unit, a sony five channel amp and, Pioneer speakers. It sounded good to my ears so, you'll get no sony bashing here.

That being said, the biggest concern is that I cannot see any RMS ratings for the speakers. You need to be sure that the speakers meet or exceed the RMs rating of your amp.

I'm also concerned about hooking up four speakers and, two subs to a two channel amp. Just how would you connect all those speakers and subs to the amp? You can bridge a sub with two full range speakers (see your owners manual) but, I suspect you'll need a four channel amp to handle four speakers and two subs.

Kanadian-Kaos 01-30-2013 11:12 AM

Power the speakers off the headunit and the subs off the amplifier. It will sound fine.

eckoblazer 01-30-2013 11:28 AM

I completely understand trying to build a system on a budget, but i would stay away from boss speakers. Honestly I would also stay away from JVC headunits. In the past I have always run alpine or pioneer and have have no complaints.
This seems like a solid deal so an entry level headunit:
Pioneer CD Apple iPhoneiPodReady InDash Receiver with Remote DEH-2400UB - Best Buy
You could take the extra money and put it towards some better speakers. I LOVE infinities but they might be out of your budget.
I'd go with these for the price
5-1/4" | On Sale : Car Speakers - Best Buy
Pioneer ASeries 6" x 9" 3Way Car Speakers with Carbon Graphite IMPP Cones Pair TS-A6964R - Best Buy
And that would be a slightly more solid set up. You can buy from one store and be done

eckoblazer 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

Forgot to add you are going to need an amp kit to hook up the amp(power,ground,remote, and rca wires) Walmart actually stocks a 6 gauge kit that would be perfect.

Kanadian-Kaos 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

BRrrrpppp. Delete.

tarakian 01-30-2013 12:09 PM

Do a little research on Crutchfield's web site. You will be able to see what fits your vehicle and mix and match what you need to get the job done.

elraido 01-30-2013 02:43 PM

I had a similar set up about 8 years ago. Same ratted amp and subs by sony, only they were red. Remember when you want to use as much gain on the head unit before you start using gain on the amp. And you will be fine hooking up speakers to the head unit and just leave the amp for the sub. Pioneer does make a really decent headunit for the price. I have had several of them and they all worked great. Get one that has at least a 5 graphic equalizer. It makes a world of difference vs just bass, mid and treble. And a better way of figuring out what door speakers you want...look at the frequency range vs the watts.

For the doors I would suggest something like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R169...693.html?tp=91
It should hit lower and higher frequencies better than the ones you listed.

TippmannFireman 01-30-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanadian-Kaos (Post 2608836)
Power the speakers off the headunit and the subs off the amplifier. It will sound fine.

That's what I plan on doing. As I stated, this won't be a show truck, so I don't need everything maxed out to the busting point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckoblazer (Post 2608849)
I completely understand trying to build a system on a budget, but i would stay away from boss speakers. Honestly I would also stay away from JVC headunits. In the past I have always run alpine or pioneer and have have no complaints.
This seems like a solid deal so an entry level headunit:
Pioneer CD Apple iPhoneiPodReady InDash Receiver with Remote DEH-2400UB - Best Buy
You could take the extra money and put it towards some better speakers. I LOVE infinities but they might be out of your budget.
I'd go with these for the price
5-1/4" | On Sale : Car Speakers - Best Buy
Pioneer ASeries 6" x 9" 3Way Car Speakers with Carbon Graphite IMPP Cones Pair TS-A6964R - Best Buy
And that would be a slightly more solid set up. You can buy from one store and be done

I like this setup! Cheaper than what I posted, too. If it works, I'm good with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckoblazer (Post 2608853)
Forgot to add you are going to need an amp kit to hook up the amp(power,ground,remote, and rca wires) Walmart actually stocks a 6 gauge kit that would be perfect.

Yeah, I have a friend that does this kind of stuff that's going to help me.

EDIT: Also, I have the power and ground wire. Scosche is what it says on it. It's a big insulated wire with a massive fuse on one end. 80 amp. This was installed in my girlfriend's father's truck (whom I got it from) and that's what he used for it. I still need the remote and RCA wires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elraido (Post 2609052)
I had a similar set up about 8 years ago. Same ratted amp and subs by sony, only they were red. Remember when you want to use as much gain on the head unit before you start using gain on the amp. And you will be fine hooking up speakers to the head unit and just leave the amp for the sub. Pioneer does make a really decent headunit for the price. I have had several of them and they all worked great. Get one that has at least a 5 graphic equalizer. It makes a world of difference vs just bass, mid and treble. And a better way of figuring out what door speakers you want...look at the frequency range vs the watts.

For the doors I would suggest something like this
Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6" x 9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
It should hit lower and higher frequencies better than the ones you listed.

I've never heard anything but great things about Rockford Fosgate stuff, but it is a little on the expensive side, as I don't have a lot of money.

elraido 01-30-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TippmannFireman (Post 2609084)

I've never heard anything but great things about Rockford Fosgate stuff, but it is a little on the expensive side, as I don't have a lot of money.

One thing I used to do was go to like Best Buy and see what open box items they had. You are able to work deals with them to lower the price or get warranties since they just want to move them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC