mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Canadians will not be able to add our "Two cents" anymore. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/225344-canadians-will-not-able-add-our-two-cents-anymore.html)

DashHopes 02-04-2013 07:20 AM

Canadians will not be able to add our "Two cents" anymore.

Mint officially ends distribution of Canadian penny Today which in turn will end any of us Canadians adding our Two Cents to any topic lol.
Mint officially ends distribution of Canadian penny | CP24.com

heinous 02-04-2013 07:43 AM

it's fine if you can't give the world 2 cents, just stop giving the world singers.

DashHopes 02-04-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2614086)
it's fine if you can't give the world 2 cents, just stop giving the world singers.

Are you saying we can have our Nickelback?

Stilgar 02-04-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashHopes (Post 2614102)

Strongest argument yet for getting rid of the Nickel as well!

RIP Penny, You will not be missed.

agentSmith 02-04-2013 08:47 AM

I knew their days in canada were numbered, when I renamed them assault pennies.
Then when I leaked the report right before the decision was made, that almost 7 Canadians were injured bending over for so-called lucky' pennies their fate was sealed. Step 1 of my evil plan is complete!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to freeze myself for 75 years and my hoard of uncirculated canadian pennies will be worth at least 3 cents each!

I'll BE RICH!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.

Rob

heinous 02-04-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/Ocb7Baf.jpg

The Flounder 02-04-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2614171)
I was watching CBC news this morning and they pointed out something like 80% of transactions are cashless already.

We're well on our way to fully cashless; if it saved time and money, I'd be all for ditching cash entirely but we need better ways to transfer money between people. (phone to phone, no fee instant transfers etc)

I never heard of a drug dealer taking credit cards. I am sure cash will be around for quite some time.

Having said that, if all transactions are cashless and can be tracked it would give a boost to law enforcement efforts (and the barter system)

desertT1 02-04-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2614171)
I was watching CBC news this morning and they pointed out something like 80% of transactions are cashless already.

We're well on our way to fully cashless; if it saved time and money, I'd be all for ditching cash entirely but we need better ways to transfer money between people. (phone to phone, no fee instant transfers etc)

This is how many small businesses operate in Africa. Payments are made phone to phone from one bank account to another. The report I wrote was on leapfrogging of technologies and how Africans did pretty much just that by bypassing plastic as a way to make payments.

I wouldn't be offended if we did the same with the penny. It costs something like 1.4 cents per penny to make, so even the game of making money is losing money.

bellicose 02-04-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

You, sir, are the king of word play. I lol'd.

I don't think drug dealers use pennies anyway. So do they round up or down when you change back?

heinous 02-04-2013 11:09 AM

the day cash is abandoned is the day you pay strippers by sliding your smartphone down her crack.

it's also the day before the day you get pink eye.

from what i've read, africa does that because there's some kind of problem about people getting bank accounts. that's not such a big problem elsewhere. more methods are always welcome but we already have debit cards, i wonder how big of a niche storing currency on your phone can get.