mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

USPS fun facts, thoughts and stupidities:

Get ready for some big changes in your mail service.
After losing $16 billion last year, the postmaster general will make announce Wednesday that the Postal Service intends to halt Saturday delivery of first-class mail by this summer, Aug. 1, CBS News has learned.

That means most mailers, letters and catalogs would not arrive on Saturdays, ending a 150-year tradition.

The plan to shrink delivery from six days a week to five would only affect first-class mail, while packages, mail-order medicines, priority and express mail would still get delivered on Saturdays.

So the same mail carriers will be running the same frickin routes getting the same pay they would for the hours worked on a Saturday but will only be required to deliver half the mail. Seems about right This is supposed to save them $2billion a year great what about the other $14 billion they lost just last year.

But...Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to “pre-pay” into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016.These “prepayments” are largely responsible for the USPS’s financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead – take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period.

USPS spokespersons have been adamant in emphasizing that they are not requesting taxpayer funds from the federal government to make this year’s payment. Rather, they say, the USPS is asking Congress to authorize access to an estimated $7 billion that they overpaid into the future retiree pension fund in previous years.

To save money, the Postal Service slashed hours of service at about half the nation's 26,000 post offices and trimmed its workforce by 35 percent.

I now do not get my mail from my local office I get it from the closest "big city" office that is still open and now running at a manpower shortage.

Furthermore, according to an October 2011 Quinnipiac poll fully 79 percent of Americans endorse the shift."

Which Americans are these I wonder?

Technically, the Postal Service is not allowed to reduce its service unless Congress changes the law, but lawyers for the Postal Service think that they have "figured out a way around the law." Our society at its finest we do not like a law ... find a way around it.

Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters.

Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit -- only break even.

Postal Service officials argue that they must continue to raise postage at regular intervals in order make up for the increased use of email....The same excuse used for every other fee hike, cut to personnel and service since Al Gore invented the internetz.

It is still taking money from our taxes to the tune of $96 million(not alot comparatively but still) budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies.

So ...
The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities. The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people.

"Postal rates shall be established to apportion the costs of all postal operations to all users of the mail on a fair and equitable basis."

Postal Service takes on some several very non-governmental attributes via the powers granted to it under Title 39, Section 401, which include:
  • power to sue (and be sued) under its own name;
  • power to adopt, amend and repeal its own regulations;
  • power to "enter into and perform contracts, execute instruments, and determine the character of, and necessity for, its expenditures";
  • power to buy, sell and lease private property; and,
  • power to build, operate, lease and maintain buildings and facilities.
All of which are typical functions and powers of a private business. However, unlike other private businesses, the Postal Service is exempt from paying federal taxes. USPS can borrow money at discounted rates, and can condemn and acquire private property under governmental rights of eminent domain.

I wonder how much unused property the USPS owns that is
a] does not pay taxes on
b] could sell off especially since the property market is on the incline

And just think if the government STOPPED running the postal service and allowed 90-98% of the services to become privatized. OOOOHHHH more jobs and it wouldn't run at a loss due to being able to streamline all its practices and getting rid of needless oversight and "positions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 02-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Leave politics out of this EL17E 76. There is no reason to get this thread locked.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Speaking of USPS

Has some one has this issue?

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...99939537400963

I sent a Minimag and a tank to its new owner in NY and it shows that in the tracking it being delivered to me. I know the mail man here and he said he doesn't have the package at all. It was supposed to be delivered to the him today.
MR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

That's unusual. Give the postmaster a call and they will look into it.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I have found USPS tracking to be very unreliable when the package is in transit.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
USPS, you saved me a ton of money vs. the competition...
Realistically, they have no competition. As long as they continue to be tax-subsidized AND allowed to run at a net loss year after year, they are NOT competing with any of the private companies. If anything, they are being granted and unfair advantage.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com

Last edited by Murf425; 02-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Rick View Post
Speaking of USPS

Has some one has this issue?

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...99939537400963

I sent a Minimag and a tank to its new owner in NY and it shows that in the tracking it being delivered to me. I know the mail man here and he said he doesn't have the package at all. It was supposed to be delivered to the him today.
I have had something "out for delivery"
or even Delivered recently that still took a day or two to show up.

Is the postal office that delivers your mail the same office that receives your mail ... sounds like an odd ? I know but...

The post office that receives your mail for distribution might not be the same one that delivers your mail therefore there can be a delay of a day or two from when the distributing post office sends it "out for delivery" or "delivers" and when you receive it.

pretty sure I left the politics out that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
I have found USPS tracking to be very unreliable when the package is in transit.
The only time it didn't update accurately for me was when I shipped a marker to Canada. Once it left Miami, the tracking continued to say "left Miami" right up until it showed up on the buyer's door.

By the way...anyone see this one?
Postal Service says it

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
The only time it didn't update accurately for me was when I shipped a marker to Canada. Once it left Miami, the tracking continued to say "left Miami" right up until it showed up on the buyer's door.

By the way...anyone see this one?
Postal Service says it
same here man...it used to say it was in customs or has left customs and in transit to destination? updates help keep me sane...haha!!!
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
Well that is reassuring in a strange way then... Because I'm waiting for need4reeb's sexy MM2K9 to get to my door! LOL

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat