mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Supersonic ping-pong ball gun

The concept of using a nozzle to accelerate gas flow and increase the speed of the ball is interesting.
I don't have the education to figure out if it makes sense or not. Flow through a nozzle should, according to Bernoulli, not change the amount of energy transferred so on the surface it shouldn't make a difference, but...

Supersonic Ping Pong Ball Brain Waves - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Supersonic Ping Pong Ball Brain Waves - YouTube&fs=1" />Supersonic Ping Pong Ball Brain Waves - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Supersonic Ping Pong Ball Brain Waves - YouTube

My browser doesn't want to show the embedded Youtube vid so here's the link if it also doesn't work for you: Supersonic ping-pong ball gun
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zBGgpzl0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Interesting. He ends it with doubling his negative on the warning about doing it at home... Dude with all the education told me to try this at home.

As for the nozzle's effect, it has been over a decade since I really did much with rockets, but I believe the idea centres around accelerations and efficiency. A plain nozzle is going to release energy in a less efficient pattern, basically fighting against itself for velocity. The shape of the nozzle compresses the flow, accelerating it, and releasing it at a higher velocity than it would otherwise.

It is a neat idea, and I've always wondered if rocket-jetting could be used to generate more efficient firearms producing higher velocities. Never did get around to that project.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

who wants to mill a custom bolt to try this
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
I've been studying (off and on as I get time) the same principal for a more efficient nelson valve.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
who wants to mill a custom bolt to try this
Did someone ask for a 3d printer?

Something tells me that the jet nozzle doesn't apply to us. Why? Because it only functions when a high pressure vessel is dumping into a low pressure vessel. In our situation, there's a paintball that seals the low-er pressure side until it's far enough down the barrel that a jet stream isn't influencing it anymore.

The ping pong ball is influenced by the device because it's density is so low, and it's freedom to accelerate is so high. And they're aiming for 750 miles per hour.

Let's work on the vacuum sealed breech, instead.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I've been studying (off and on as I get time) the same principal for a more efficient nelson valve.
is it viable? i'd imagine an in-line design would leave the power tube plenty restricted already and leaving not enough room for that kind of design.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

WTH!! He mentions they have high speed footage....but he did not include any of it! complete PHAIL

but a cool one
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat