mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

For me, an active member of the Armed Forces, I'd rather you didn't use military ranks and patches you haven't earned, but I also believe in Freedom of Speech in this country, so while I may needle you with dry wit and insults on the field about your beer gut and non-matching Ranger tab, I'm also not going to scream at you and rip the patches off with my hands. *shrug* If you buy camo from the surplus store and want to go to the effort, we military folks appreciate you taking off the patches you haven't earned (rank, service, unit, awards, etc), but we understand, most of you aren't claiming to be what the patches proclaim.

If you really want to impress us folks in the military, come up with your own unit patches for your team (unless you're at an event like D-Day where you're supposed to be portraying actual units), as well as your own tabs and award badges. Hell, come up with your own rank structure and patches to match. A Captain in the Army is a leader for upwards of 200 people; I have to stop myself from snorting whenever I see a scenario leader wearing the "pause button" and leading 10 guys into battle.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

My opinion on this:

Don't use real or current ones. Other than that do not care. If you do not use fake ones and people give you crap about it I would point out they do not represent real units. As noone is harmed (because no unit is represented) there is no foul

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 02-14-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
A Captain in the Army is a leader for upwards of 200 people; I have to stop myself from snorting whenever I see a scenario leader wearing the "pause button" and leading 10 guys into battle.
Not always. A Captain in an armor company only leads about 60. 4 soldiers per tank, 4 tanks per platoon, 3 platoons per company and two HQ tanks (his and the XO's). That's 56 troops including himself plus 4 more soldiers (usually a NBC clown, two supply schmucks and the 1sg.)

I already posted that I don't care if they wear official patches, but I agree with you that it's much cooler if they make their own. I think you'd get more esprit de corps if you make your own unique patches.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Deadmeat99

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Heck I wear my combat patch, I'm damn proud of it. I personally don't mind folks wearing these patches but if I see you wiping and wearing my patch I might just rip it off your shoulder.

http://<a href="http://www.mcarterbr...78.jpg</a></a>
I have been looking for ACU 1st ID patches like that, all I can find are the total subdued ones.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Deadmeat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat99 View Post
I have been looking for ACU 1st ID patches like that, all I can find are the total subdued ones.
Here: 1st Infantry Division ACU Patch With Red "1"
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I never assume that milsimmers on the paintball field, even those decked-out in modern uniforms, are actual military. I don't think a real soldier/seaman/airman/marine would waste a regulation uniform on paintball.

My personal opinion? I think milsim is stupid. But don't you care what I think; do what makes you happy.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

First off, I have never served in the military so my opinion is just based on my experience in discussing it with those who have. I have had this conversation with veterans and the general consensus they came up with is that most who made a huge stink about it had a chip on their shoulder or insecurities about something in their lives. Most didn't give a crap as long as the wearer wasn't trying to pass off a real world, 'stolen valor' story behind it.

Most of the time the wearer has no clue what they are wearing; I wish people were more conscientous of it. I have seen people with patches of the WW2 Waffen SS Totenkopf (Death's Head) on their clothes around town. Many units of several nationalities used a skull and crossbones as their insignia for centuries, but the SS one is distinct. When I mention it to them, most people had no idea. They thought it just looked cool. Personally, I didn't give a crap what they wear but I wanted them to be aware of what they did have on them.

I do historical reenacting, mostly WW2 British Army and German Fallschirmjäger (always a private, never any grade of officer). While I enjoy private battles and public education display events, I hate doing 'walking out' nights of going out to a unit dinner and then a British pub in uniform. I don't like wearing any uniform with insignia in a regular public setting, even of a long-defunct unit. Just doesn't feel right.

Only once did I ever get the 'you didn't earn that' speech in anger, and it was quite funny. It was Halloween and being a "A Bridge Too Far" fan I wore my British Para impression out during the day. Yes, my beret had the Para badge and my Denison smock had jump wings but sweet jeebuz... it was Halloween! Walking home with my wife after shopping I see an SUV hook a hard right and zoom through a parking lot toward us. A British-accent male voice hailed me over. He asked if I had ever jumped; I replied not as of yet (it's a 3 year goal of mine to go to WW2 ADT school). He commenced reading me the Riot Act of how I should take everything off right that second because he had jumped and I had not, etc etc. He then peeled out in a big macho display and gunned the engine away. Funny thing was, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time because... he was dressed as a woman. Blonde wig, full make-up, dress, fake boobs, jewelry... the whole nine yards. I don't know if it was his Halloween costume or his lifestyle, but to get the 'you didn't earn that' speech from a transvestite is something I'll never forget!

Last edited by LettuceHead; 02-15-2013 at 02:45 AM.
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

AKA Fan
I'm a seven year vet and the only time I'll mention this to someone is if they're wearing a retreating flag. Most people don't even know they're doing anything wrong so I'm polite about it.

I would bet anyone you see at a paintball event in full uniform is not active military because it's against regs (or it used to be, been out for awhile) to wear the uniform off duty except under special circumstances.

Wear what you want. If you're trying to play the part of a specific unit try to learn something about that unit before you do. People wearing the screaming eagle yelling HooRah is like running your nails down a chalkboard.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Maybe....... Just maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Not always. A Captain in an armor company only leads about 60. 4 soldiers per tank, 4 tanks per platoon, 3 platoons per company and two HQ tanks (his and the XO's). That's 56 troops including himself plus 4 more soldiers (usually a NBC clown, two supply schmucks and the 1sg.)

I already posted that I don't care if they wear official patches, but I agree with you that it's much cooler if they make their own. I think you'd get more esprit de corps if you make your own unique patches.
My CO is a O-3, Captain, leads about 130 strong engineering company. Any shape and size really fits the rank. I still wear my MARPAT's from my Marine Corps days, work great I just don't wear the rank that when I left the Marine Corps, even now a days I'm a Corporal in the Army. Just because those "damnit's" dig in worse than a tick.

I usually don't care either if someone is wearing ACU's, MARPAT's, etc. But the Marine side of me comes out when I see someone who has no affilation (self, brother, father, wife...) with the Marine Corps wearing the Eagle Globe and Anchor, thats when I get mad. Even if it is just a symbol to most people, it means a ton to a select few.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Big Red 1 patch, isn't the authorized patch the subdued "1". Or is it unit discreation?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Personally I avoid wearing unit patches, but one of my friends in high school was big into wearing stuff like that, and most of his jackets had half a dozen or more sewn on. He was big into US patches, and only once did we run into someone who had an issue.

Middle aged guy screaming at him about honour, how the men who served in the US military had always fought and died for our freedom (Ignoring the issue of us being Canadian, and that time they tried to conquer us?), and how my friend hadn't earned any of his patches he was wearing, and my friend replied with something along the lines of he had earned them. He worked part time to raise the money to buy the things he wanted, and bought patches as often as he could with his money. He thanked the man for his freedom to not give a flying [censored for several words] and to wear what he pleases.

Now I would try to be a whole lot more diplomatic about the issue than my friend was, but his stance does make sense.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat