mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   patches on a uniform- the big debate (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/226120-patches-uniform-big-debate.html)

MisfitActual 02-12-2013 04:05 PM

patches on a uniform- the big debate

I'm a newer paintballer and I know that some of the older guys look down on having patches that are too milsim, but i love milsim and I've been looking for a while to find good patches and custom name tags and all. I had finally found a place on the web that did both the patches and also name tags (http://www.1800nametape.com/ for anyone whos interested) for a steal, all of these patches coming out to about $23 dollars plus two other patches that are not pictured. I would just like to get some feedback whether this is okay or if i have gone too far.

MisfitActual 02-12-2013 04:08 PM

idkfa 02-12-2013 04:08 PM

It's a big debate? Wear whatever you want. Unless you are holding yourself out as being part of the units you are displaying, which I don't think isan issue, who cares?

pk5 02-12-2013 04:16 PM

Wear what you want, but don't pretend to be in the military if you never serve.

MisfitActual 02-12-2013 04:18 PM

well, I've been to a couple of fields where some players will give me **** for it, and some wont. i just want a general consensus i guess.

Justus 02-12-2013 04:24 PM

You can even pretend to be in the military so long as everyone knows you're just pretending. Nobody's going to bash you for having an imagination and roleplaying out something that's fun for you while among friends and fellow paintballers.

It's only when it turns to impersonation and committing an act of fraud do things go south. That's a big no-no. Bottom line - you're not entitled to get any actual benefits of military service, including the respect and gratitude due to a real soldier, unless you actually served.

Manning 02-12-2013 04:30 PM

I'm a veteran. I say wear what you want on the field. Playing mil-sim is the closest some people will ever get to serving in the military and if you enjoy it, I'm cool with that.

It's pretty easy to understand what is crossing the line and what isn't. For example, don't walk around town in an authentic looking uniform after or before the game just to pose as a soldier (airman, marine, sailor, etc). That could piss some folks off real quick.

Spider! 02-12-2013 06:09 PM

Milsim with random patches and name tape doesn't catch flak.

Milsim with recent issue uniforms and unit patches (un-earned) on an adult may generate a poser alert, depending on the environment. When there are real vets wondering around in uniform at a non-Milsim game, it's a little inconsiderate. At a Milsim game, people may still separate you in their minds from the vets anyway.

When my son was 11, a friend in the US Border Patrol gave him a patch that I let him wear on his woodland jacket. It was pretty obvious he wasn't claiming anything. We did get a few worried looks though. :p

Nighthunter 02-12-2013 06:40 PM

As mentioned before, I think most people wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it unless you were trying to impersonate someone who actually served in the military if you have not.

I'd have no problem with someone wearing a unique patch or patches with his team name. Don't worry about whether the jerks at your field will think you're "too tacticool." Do what you like, ignore the haters, and enjoy shooting them out later.

Cartah lovah 02-12-2013 07:44 PM

I played in some Milsim tourny's this summer in Massachusetts cuz it was the only woodsball tourny's I could find. I wasn't crazy about gun hits not counting etc. There were some guys completely decked out like Special Forces, I thought they were tools but didn't say anything. It's not my style. Do what you want and have fun doing it.