mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Oh I got it. His giant balls were resting on the accelerator.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
In this case, the car was 'adapted for disability', so I'd bet that was the culprit.
Right. It sounds like Renault fitted the car with handbar controls for the brake and accelerator and that something went awry.

upload pics

By the way, the current Renault Laguna is quite a looker for a mid-size sedan.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Turn off the car (use the key), or put the car in neutral if the key doesn't work for whatever reason.

It seriously can't be that hard to stop a car... I'd rather ruin a car's engine than be killed or kill myself.
I know I have read stories before when people try to put it into neutral, the car stays in drive. That is what was happening to some of those Toyota's. People were trying to turn them off and shifting them, but they just kept accelerating.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
ANY auto trans car can be stopped with the brakes at full throttle, unless there's a brake issue.

I once experienced a full-throttle stuck accelerator pedal on a Dodge Caravan I was driving. I was 2 blocks away from my destination so I just rode the brakes (didn't want to neutral-drop it when the light turned green) and got there just fine.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

does anyone know if you can still steer/brake if you take out the car keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Right. It sounds like Renault fitted the car with handbar controls for the brake and accelerator and that something went awry.

http://s7.postimage.org/dn8blsq8r/T2..._J4o_60_35.jpg
upload pics

By the way, the current Renault Laguna is quite a looker for a mid-size sedan.
maybe the lever broke off? or if the driver is disabled, perhaps a leg rested on the gas pedal without knowing.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
does anyone know if you can still steer/brake if you take out the car keys?
Typically the steering column locks, and you lose your power brakes though they'll still work if you push hard enough.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Depends on the car. Some cars won't let you turn off the ignition while they're in gear.

In this case, the car was 'adapted for disability', so I'd bet that was the culprit.

Good job him for keeping it under control, despite having two seizures in the process.
Never driven a car yet that doesn't let you turn the ignition off while in gear - even the pushbutton start cars will let you do it, you just have to hold the button for a few seconds.

You probably won't be able to get the key out, but you'd lock the steering wheel if you did - bad mojo when driving 125mph.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

A Renault tech couldn't come up with a solution, but I'm sure he didn't consider all the smart suggestions you guys are making. Why is it so hard for some of you to realize that modern cars are not the same as the cars from even 10 years ago? If the car has drive-by-wire starter, gear leaver, brakes, accelerator, etc. there really isn't all that much you can do if the computer stops responding to inputs from those controls.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
smells good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan aresta View Post
If the car has drive-by-wire starter, gear leaver, brakes, accelerator, etc. there really isn't all that much you can do if the computer stops responding to inputs from those controls.

which is reason enough to question whether these "advancements" are really a good idea; brake- and steering-by-wire just don't seem to be a good idea...

i wonder how long it will be until either a major manufacturer - or smaller, aftermarket company - releases the option for a master kill switch... thereby shutting-down the entire electrical system on the vehicle... though I guess you would have to rely on that electric component working as it should...

WTB: Black 07 Ego Eye Covers

WTB: AGD Z-grip or Y-frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
what stimpy said
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
My butt hole hurts all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Stimps is the man! Not only does he smell his own farts, but he enjoys it at the same time.

FEEDBACK<<<<
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
which is reason enough to question whether these "advancements" are really a good idea; brake- and steering-by-wire just don't seem to be a good idea...

i wonder how long it will be until either a major manufacturer - or smaller, aftermarket company - releases the option for a master kill switch... thereby shutting-down the entire electrical system on the vehicle... though I guess you would have to rely on that electric component working as it should...
Nothing on the market has "drive-by wire" steering or braking. There's a drive-by-wire trans selector option on several high-end European models, there's electric power assist, and certain German/Japanese brands have electric park brakes. Steering wheels and service brakes continue, and will continue, to have physical connections to the systems in question.

I'm curious what year the Laguna is - the last generation appears to be based on the Nissan Altima, a model that I know for a fact will cut power to the motor when the brake is applied during acceleration.

It honestly sounds like it was either operator error or the adaptations made to make it handicap accessible malfunctioned.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat