mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Plumbing fixtures, a 'Did you know' (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/226942-plumbing-fixtures-did-you-know.html)

DPrekel 02-22-2013 10:34 AM

Plumbing fixtures, a 'Did you know'

We are remodeling our bathroom. The 70's goldenrod color and large fiberglass shower has seen its day and seriously has to go.

While picking out fixtures, found out something that I thought I would share about plumbing fixtures, specifically Kohler.

Kohler has 2 factories for their fixtures, at the same location. 1 factory makes the fixtures for kitchen/supply shops. These fixtures are all brass internally and heavy and solid. They have a second factory that makes the same fixtures for the home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes. These, though they are the same models, are all plastic internally. The only thing that is the same between the 2 is the surface. The plastic ones are planned to last 3 - 5 years. The brass ones are planned to last 20 - 25 years.

When doing your fixtures, choose wisely.

Shocker2k 02-22-2013 10:39 AM

So my next question, is where to find the brass fixtures? :)

Nick

DPrekel 02-22-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shocker2k (Post 2632526)
So my next question, is where to find the brass fixtures? :)

Nick

Kitchen and Bath showrooms. Even your local hardware stores should have them, but check. They even get the plastic ones, so it is up to the store. Or, order them on-line.

Our all brass faucet is $285.00, Plastic internals from Home Depot $268.00. not that big of price difference if you factor in you don't have to touch it for a long time.

Shocker2k 02-22-2013 11:17 AM

Excellent :), crazy they can do that. Reason why I try not to buy things that are supposed to last a long time at any of the big box stores.

Nick

cougar20th 02-22-2013 01:08 PM

thats really good to know. Planning on gutting one of the bathrooms within a year.

Listessa 02-23-2013 07:05 PM

And guess which type contractors like to install, unless you specify (and check)?

Great post. :) Most people are unaware of that!

Swampywi 02-24-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Listessa (Post 2633885)
And guess which type contractors like to install, unless you specify (and check)?

Great post. :) Most people are unaware of that!

That really depends on the contractor.

You be suprised how much that box store can push their purchase price down from a manufacture's asking price.

stimpy 02-24-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPrekel (Post 2632527)
Our all brass faucet is $285.00, Plastic internals from Home Depot $268.00. not that big of price difference if you factor in you don't have to touch it for a long time.

good to know... and i think anyone on this forum would splurge the extra $17 for brass ;)