mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Steel toe shoe suggestions

I started a new job at a printing company. Well this job requires me to wear steel toe shoes or boots and I'm standing for 12hrs a day (12 hour shift). Currently I'm wearing Wolverine steel toe work boots and I added some inserts for comfort, but I think I would be better off with shoes. Does anyone have any experience with really comfortable steel toe shoes?

Currently I was looking at these Puma steel toe shoes. I have a bunch of Puma shoes and they are all really comfortable.

Puma Shoes: Men's Steel Toe Heat Resistant Work Shoes 64.262.5 - Steel Toe Tennis Shoes - Men's Steel Toe Shoes - Footwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted to MCB

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Yes, I had some Puma steel toe tennis shoes years ago when I worked for a pottery. I was also on my feet for 10-12hr shifts and they were not only lighter than boots but more comfortable. They really helped lessen fatigue. It has been several years so this isn't a 100% guarantee but best I can do.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I really like the Converse safety toe boots I have. some of the most comfortable boot/shoes I've ever worn.
Converse C8694 6 inch Composite Toe Side Zip Desert Boot plus FREE SHIPPING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
I've played pump against the worst of the paintball scum bags, do I hang it up? Nah.... I play angrier.
B_i_s_c_u_i_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

Georgia boots Georgia Giants and get the steel toe socks they will save your toes from blistering rubbing on the steel
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

AKA Fan
If you are permitted to wear them you might want to check out composite toed shoes/boots instead of actual steel. They're much lighter while still offering protection.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inducted by aliens

Red Wings has a series of boots with what they call a King Toe. I have wide feet and they are not the usual cruel shoes that most steel toes are. I am unsure if they make it in a shoe.

Good luck in your quest

...It's a trip, It's got a funky beat and I can bug out to it!
crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

I have a pair of Carhartt steel toed shoes, and while comfortable, I would NOT recommend them for any place that gets moderately cold outside. Whatever rubber compound that they use for the soles becomes rock hard and basically turns them into ice skates any time it gets below freezing.

If you have wide feet, check out Keen shoes and boots. I had a pair of their shoes that were really comfortable and recently got a pair of their steel toed boots (to replace the Carhartts during winter) that have been comfortable so far.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
As said before, go with composite toes if you are allowed (you should be providing they have the necessary stamps). I have to wear a set of 8" boots at work and the composite toes make them about as light as a pair of snow boots.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
If you are permitted to wear them you might want to check out composite toed shoes/boots instead of actual steel. They're much lighter while still offering protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
As said before, go with composite toes if you are allowed (you should be providing they have the necessary stamps). I have to wear a set of 8" boots at work and the composite toes make them about as light as a pair of snow boots.
I'm another for composite toe. Composite toes also don't bend and slice off your toes in a compression accident. Like idkfa said, make sure whichever steel or composite kind you buy has the correct ANSI or MilSpec standards for your workplace.

I have some awesome Danner 8" side zip EMT boots. They are kind of spendy, but they will last longer than just a year. I got three years (wearing them all day every day at work) out of the first pair. They are light weight and very comfortable.

Honestly, the cheep ones aren't worth the money you save. They don't last, and beat the crap out of your feet. Steel are heavy, so they can start wearing on your joints too. The steel toed sneakers I have tried on have all been heavier than my composite boots. Plus I prefer that extra bit of ankle protection.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
I'm another for composite toe. Composite toes also don't bend and slice off your toes in a compression accident. Like idkfa said, make sure whichever steel or composite kind you buy has the correct ANSI or MilSpec standards for your workplace.

I have some awesome Danner 8" side zip EMT boots. They are kind of spendy, but they will last longer than just a year. I got three years (wearing them all day every day at work) out of the first pair. They are light weight and very comfortable.

Honestly, the cheep ones aren't worth the money you save. They don't last, and beat the crap out of your feet. Steel are heavy, so they can start wearing on your joints too. The steel toed sneakers I have tried on have all been heavier than my composite boots. Plus I prefer that extra bit of ankle protection.
I agree with this as well saw a guy once get his little toe sliced off when a roller fell off a hoist on to his foot/boot, also on the up side they are not as cold.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat