mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Eclipse Sponsored Forever

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
I don't think anyone has a "duty" to help the person out.
Technically, a peace officer would. Henceforth, why I would have to help, and would with no second thought.

B/S/T Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
HeroForADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
sure, but very few of those people were high on adrenaline. most of them calmly walked away.

I think only 2 reacted calmly: the guy in the parka and recording guy. Past that, several tried to help, and everyone else was obviously under duress. We don't know how many were intent on calling 911. We don't know how many were actually recorded. I think it's safe to assume these were "pick of the litter" clips.

Besides, how many of us are mind readers? Why are we so quick to damn? Why is no one asking "why are people reacting like that?" but instead jumping straight to "PEOPLE ARE ALL TERRIBLE AND I'M THE BEST!!1!"

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
I think only 2 reacted calmly: the guy in the parka and recording guy. Past that, several tried to help, and everyone else was obviously under duress. We don't know how many were intent on calling 911. We don't know how many were actually recorded. I think it's safe to assume these were "pick of the litter" clips.

Besides, how many of us are mind readers? Why are we so quick to damn? Why is no one asking "why are people reacting like that?" but instead jumping straight to "PEOPLE ARE ALL TERRIBLE AND I'M THE BEST!!1!"
well there's the business man who just turned around, the couch guy who even told the other guy hold the couch to walk away, the old man with the grocery bags, for example.

people are probably quick to damn because this video makes them realize the neighbors they depend on in case of emergency may not be dependable at all.

speaking of "why are people reacting like that," in case of physical danger, just stand there and protect your precious hair:

heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I will concede that many of them didn't react the way they "should" have, but my major point is this: we don't know what's going through each person's mind. We are too quick to judge. This video is a poor representative of an "experiment." We know nothing about what we watched, and I'd imagine that the clips were selected to make us feel a certain way. I'd say it worked in that regard.

It does make me curious what goes through people's mind during these kinds of events, though. Here's the Bystander Effect Wiki article.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
GMO Population control

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
I would help because that's what right. If I got screwed over afterwards, at least I'll know I did the right thing.
So good it got sig'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
"PEOPLE ARE ALL TERRIBLE AND I'M THE BEST!!1!"
Almost made the sig...

But really?!? a fire extinguisher?!?
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigs View Post
I have sat here pumping away for the last five minutes to my gfs confused face
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #46 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
That's a dirtbag thing to say, hope your friends and family don't count on you to help them ...

I would help because that's what right. If I got screwed over afterwards, at least I'll know I did the right thing.
More logical really. Even your reason to help is selfish. Knowing that "you did the right thing" boosts your self image.

What would I have done? I would probably have stood there and watched a bit to assess the situation and probably would have tried to stop the strangling if it kept going. Choking someone isn't a quick kill and at fist glance its hard to tell which person is the 'bad guy'. But in this video I'd look like an idiot douchebag because I just stood there for the 5 seconds they gave each test subject. In the video, any of the people that walked away might have done so to call the cop that was standing outside the building. It's pretty interesting the assumptions that we make.

And as for your hopes, I agree. Don't count on anyone to help you, nothing good happens when you sit around and wait for others to help.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

Quote:
They're lucky there wasn't anybody concealed carrying... this little "experiment" could have ended real badly.
good thing it was in new york =P

had that have been florida... lol

but yeah, that is sad how so few helped.... and one guy with a camera phone, really?!

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
More logical really. Even your reason to help is selfish. Knowing that "you did the right thing" boosts your self image.

What would I have done? I would probably have stood there and watched a bit to assess the situation and probably would have tried to stop the strangling if it kept going. Choking someone isn't a quick kill and at fist glance its hard to tell which person is the 'bad guy'. But in this video I'd look like an idiot douchebag because I just stood there for the 5 seconds they gave each test subject. In the video, any of the people that walked away might have done so to call the cop that was standing outside the building. It's pretty interesting the assumptions that we make.

And as for your hopes, I agree. Don't count on anyone to help you, nothing good happens when you sit around and wait for others to help.
Well, I have been in a situation where I could have helped or ran away. And I helped. Because it was the right thing to do. It has nothing with me feeling good about it or to boast. For me, it's common sense to jump in. Yes, it's probably stupid because I could get hurt or killed. Running away is easy (for a lot of people, instinctive ... don't blame them, that's just how people react). Now I'm not saying that I'm better than anybody, because really I'm not. I'm not saying I'd take a bullet for a random stranger on the street either. But if you were in that guy's shoes, the one getting strangled... wouldn't you want somebody to help you? Just standing there and watching, or even worse, pulling out your phone and recording it is just... unacceptable.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

Quote:
They're lucky there wasn't anybody concealed carrying... this little "experiment" could have ended real badly.
Took the words from my mouth..
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...there's no guarantee you'll react like you think you should, even if you disagree with the results of what the "average" person does. Google Stanley Milgram. He wanted to know how ordinary Germans came to allow Jewish people and others to be murdered and experimented on.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat