mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I don't see scumbags, I see self-preservation. How many people post in the members section ranting about trying to help someone and getting screwed over? How many movie/tv plots have someone getting involved and getting into trouble? I bet in a lifetime, you are exposed to instances(real and fiction) where staying out of it or distancing yourself means staying out of trouble much more than getting involved made everything better. Even video guy, his actions seem bad, but his recording would help in the end. Sorry, but people act in their own interest. Even the people that help probably only do so because they would want someone to help them if they were in that situation.

What is this, a seinfeld episode?
Stopping to film the murder does nothing to help anyone except for the prosecution which does nothing to help save that man's life.
However, i can agree on the self preservation point. What if you try to stop the "assassin" and in the process, he over powers you or has another weapon on him like knife? Its very risky, especially for some of us smaller folk. Does this excuse doing nothing though? Nope. The least someone could do is to go out and call for help or 911.

You're right to Stop, assess, and then act. Personally, i would've called 911 to make sure police were on their way, and then see what i could do to help the man being strangled.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
What if you try to stop the "assassin" and in the process, he over powers you or has another weapon on him like knife?
Good point, but why would he try to strangle somebody if he has a knife...
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #53 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
Good point, but why would he try to strangle somebody if he has a knife...
Not as messy
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
"Yo bro, I'mma stop and instagram this."
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
I'm not saying I'd take a bullet for a random stranger on the street either. But if you were in that guy's shoes, the one getting strangled... wouldn't you want somebody to help you? Just standing there and watching, or even worse, pulling out your phone and recording it is just... unacceptable.
And with that, you proved my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
Stopping to film the murder does nothing to help anyone except for the prosecution which does nothing to help save that man's life.
Indeed, but again, we are bombarded daily as to what is 'help' and this dilutes what is helpful. I bet those most inclined to take video have witnessed a great deal of situations where taking the video did something good instead of other means of help. If we used the scenario in this experiment and chose 3 outcomes. 1) Guy jumps in helps and saves a life. 2) Guy jumps in and ends up dying with the other guy. 3) Guy takes video of a murder. Out of those 3 outcomes, which is going to get more media attention and would stay in the minds of people that are exposed to the story? It's going to be #3. It's hard to not go immediately with something that is constantly pounded into your brain.

On a another note. The guy is getting strangled, it's going to take quite a while for him to die. A smart thing to do would be to call 911, take a photo of the attackers face, go hide, and let the victim pass out so the attacker stops attacking and leaves. Then go help the victim from dying by removing the rope from his neck so the blood circulates and he can breathe again. Just cause you go limp while choking doesn't mean you are dead.

Though I wonder when the doors opened, if instead of what looked like a fight, there was a guy strangling a person already unconscious(or at least overpowered) and not fighting back. Would those same people react any differently?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Indeed, but again, we are bombarded daily as to what is 'help' and this dilutes what is helpful. I bet those most inclined to take video have witnessed a great deal of situations where taking the video did something good instead of other means of help. If we used the scenario in this experiment and chose 3 outcomes. 1) Guy jumps in helps and saves a life. 2) Guy jumps in and ends up dying with the other guy. 3) Guy takes video of a murder. Out of those 3 outcomes, which is going to get more media attention and would stay in the minds of people that are exposed to the story? It's going to be #3. It's hard to not go immediately with something that is constantly pounded into your brain.

On a another note. The guy is getting strangled, it's going to take quite a while for him to die. A smart thing to do would be to call 911, take a photo of the attackers face, go hide, and let the victim pass out so the attacker stops attacking and leaves. Then go help the victim from dying by removing the rope from his neck so the blood circulates and he can breathe again. Just cause you go limp while choking doesn't mean you are dead.

Though I wonder when the doors opened, if instead of what looked like a fight, there was a guy strangling a person already unconscious(or at least overpowered) and not fighting back. Would those same people react any differently?
I agree that media attention or leaving an impression in people's mind is probably the explanation for said actions, but to justify it by claiming it would aid the situation is ridiculous. If someone is in the process of being murdered, what good does it do to the victim if you capture his murder on tape if he dies? Perhaps it would be in the case someone was abusing a child, spouse, or an animal in which said victim survives, but evidence of the crime does not help if the victim if he/she isnt alive to benefit from it. It is quite obvious and well established that there are situations out there in which taking photos/video is uselss. There is a whole bunch of media already out there showing that taking a video/photo did not help (ex. wife being stabbed to death in the middle of the mall, man passing out and falling into train tracks) and in fact, the people who take video/photos were ridiculed for their uselessness in the situation.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
And with that, you proved my point.
Don't care, I'd still help.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #58 (permalink)
No class

But, a fire extinguisher! Really? a Fire extinguisher!
Cool off bad guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Chad Thompson is Paintball!
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
But, a fire extinguisher! Really? a Fire extinguisher!
Cool off bad guy...
because when you see someone suffocating, the best thing you can do is throw co2 into his face
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Was that guy really taking a photo? Geez...
That said, had it have happened over here a gang of chavs would probably have mugged them both.

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat