mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   washing machine (and maybe a dryer) - any suggestions? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/228676-washing-machine-maybe-dryer-any-suggestions.html)

stimpy 03-12-2013 11:21 PM

washing machine (and maybe a dryer) - any suggestions?

today the washing machine started making a death rattle... i managed to fix it last time it acted up, but i've got markers i'd rather throw parts at - plus it's well into its second decade, so i think a new one is in order. dryer is of the same vintage, and since i like things to match, might have to replace that too.

so, can anyone suggest a quality washer? and perhaps a dryer? any thoughts on where to purchase one or both?

thanks in advance!

Bored383 03-12-2013 11:49 PM

we have a nice frigidaire front loading high efficiency washer - auto fills on water based on the size of the load, and spools and spins like a damn jet turbine to sling water out. Works great on poopy diapers

I can't remember the model, I'll have to find out

Hawkeye20 03-12-2013 11:52 PM

Whatever the washer is, make sure it's a front loader.

heinous 03-12-2013 11:54 PM

get one with blonde hair big boobs and hips that keep going, she'll dry you too alright

OPBN 03-13-2013 09:23 AM

We pretty much got all Whirlpool appliances when we bought last year and have to say I am somewhat disappointed in nearly every one of them excepting the stove and microwave. Previously owned a Maytag front loading washer and dryer set. Maybe 10 years old and the washer crapped out.

Agglet 03-13-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 (Post 2652670)
Whatever the washer is, make sure it's a front loader.

Careful now! Front loaders are great but are subject to a laundry list (HAHAHAHA) of problems everything from that funky smell of water collecting around the door seal to catastrophic main bearing failure (look it up) and the energy savings that are supposed to be one of their main selling points has to weighed against their higher initial cost. Oh and the lifespan of a front loader is typically around five years it seems short but the machines are now more plastic than metal and they aren't easy to work on they are built in such a way that to get inside you are looking at about a five hour job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2652863)

A lot of brands are related. Our Samsung apartment sized washer & dryer are actually rebadged Maytags.

And Maytag is owned by Whirlpool.

Luckless 03-13-2013 10:59 AM

Also keep in mind that in the last few decades they have been making washers lighter and lighter. This in turn means that your spin cycles in many washers are horribly quick to unbalance.

Whatever you get, be sure it has a reliable unbalance detection and shutoff. The washer I'm stuck using now will happily try to walk around the room if so much as a sock is on the wrong side.

FreeEnterprise 03-13-2013 11:08 AM

I buy stuff based on consumer reports...

About 7 years ago I put in whirlpool duet front loaders. They have been fine, with the normal issues. (you have to take the front off every few years and clean out the drain as it will get clogged. course, you find all kinds of neat stuff in there...)

I stacked mine last year, which will give you an idea of how smooth they operate... And we do laundry at least 3 times a week, multiple loads each time.

Buy the biggest one you can, as you can wash your comforters in them!

Oh, and you can seriously haggle the purchase price on washers/dryers... I got mine for about $400 off the "sale" price... Retail was around $1,200 for my washer and I got it for $800 by pitting one store against another, and comparing online prices...

10 matching washers and dryers that cleaned up in our tests

After doing your laundry you need to leave the door open until it dries out inside, that is normal on all front loaders...

stimpy 03-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2652673)
get one with blonde hair big boobs and hips that keep going, she'll dry you too alright

Already have one of those in "brunette"

Thanks for the input guys; the important thing is that I got my PB stuff washed before the washer went bad

Phoenix01 03-13-2013 01:27 PM

My suggestion is a washer and dryer combo from Maytag. It is their Bravos series. The washer does not have a center aggitator which makes for easily washing sheets and blankets. It also regulates the water level based on load weight and has a self cleaning setting. The dryer has a variety of settings but I mostly use the auto-sense dry feature. I bought the pair from Best Buy roughly 2 1/2 years ago for $1,100. I thought it was a great deal and I have been very happy with them.