mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Living with less. A lot less.

Very interesting article.

Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/op...nted=all&_r=4&

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 03-22-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added linked image
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

and then he was introduced to mcb, and his 400 square feet home became paintball storage.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Toni and I are currently working on making out "House bigger" by having less crap in it. It's a lot cheaper than another addition.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Mega Z for sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...el-mega-z.html
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

That's all fine and good for someone who can make his living anywhere in the world with nothing but a laptop and a Wi-Fi connection. Makes sense to minimize so you can stay mobile and go where you want when you want. For those of us with "normal" jobs, who don't get to travel on a whim or wander the Earth like Cain, having creature comforts at the home where we spend 90% of our non-work hours is pretty nice.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
This guy obviously does not play paintball. His place would be very full if he did.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
That's all fine and good for someone who can make his living anywhere in the world with nothing but a laptop and a Wi-Fi connection. Makes sense to minimize so you can stay mobile and go where you want when you want. For those of us with "normal" jobs, who don't get to travel on a whim or wander the Earth like Cain, having creature comforts at the home where we spend 90% of our non-work hours is pretty nice.
Exactly. It's a nice little anecdote but it doesn't really apply to the vast majority of people.

That being said, I have tried to cut down on material goods over the past few years, mostly because I don't like clutter.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would like to see him raise kids in a 420 sq/ft home. My house is only 950 sq/ft and with two large dogs, it doesn't seem like enough at times. Like others have said, it must be nice to be able to live a hippy life and wonder around the world because you have the money to do so. Well, I take that back. That sounds bitter. It is the fact that he does have that much more money and then lectures us about the "evils" of it and we should all live the way he does. I can't afford to take a trip to Florida, let alone travel the world and take it all of its sites.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Exactly. It's a nice little anecdote but it doesn't really apply to the vast majority of people.

That being said, I have tried to cut down on material goods over the past few years, mostly because I don't like clutter.
Eyup. If I could make six figures off of what I carry around in a backpack, I wouldn't have much stuff either.

Unfortunately, most of the world has jobs to do that need doing right where they're at. Kind of hard for me to pick up five convection ovens, a proofer, and a 60 quart mixer and backpack 'em across Burma.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Let me know when he has actually taken it to the extreme: three outfits, a bowl to beg for food in, and perhaps a walking staff.

"Look at me I am living with very little and have the wealth to purchase anything I might run into" does not sound extreme when compared to the lifestyle a wandering monk has.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat